Hoping to find two spoodle dogs

Are you a Breeder? Need to find a Breeder? Need to find a Stud? In the North Island .... Place or find them here!!
TINA
new born
new born

Hoping to find two spoodle dogs

Postby TINA » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:15 pm

We are hoping to complete our family by getting two dogs. We have our hearts set on getting Spoodles/Cavoodles/Labradoodles.

As we work during the day time we have decided that we best not  take on puppies (as they need day time company), and we are therefore looking for dogs 1-3 years old. So was hoping for some advice from the Spoodle community on how to best go about finding the dogs we are looking for.

Thanks!
Tina

sl_simpson
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Re: Hoping to find two spoodle dogs

Postby sl_simpson » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:41 pm

Hi Tina

That's a hard one as they don't come up for sale or re-homing at that age much and not often two together.  So may take sometime to find them.
You could check with the breeders and see if they know of any.  Sometimes people cirumstances change and the pups are returned to the breeder, being months older.  And on odd occassions the breeders may sell a retiring breeding dog.  
Trademe has had a few advertised due to people either going oversea or an elderly person is not able to look after their pet any longer.

There is quiet a size range bewteen the Cavoodle, Spoodles and Labradoodles.  Just bear in mind that a bigger dog will need more excerise room and time than a smaller dog and the cost of food for a large dog compaired to smaller breeds.  

Just some other thoughts sorry if abit long winded and you may have already thought about, but hopeful helpful. ;)

Even with older dogs you will need to take sometime  to introduce them into their new environment i.e someone to be at home with them for the initial week and then maybe parttime in the next week.  It can be a stressfull time for any dog changing home environments and owners.  Not to mention your new dog learning your rules and boundaries.  Some dogs may not react well to the initial change,  by not toileting out side when they are suppose to or start chewing on furniture, or not eating.

Also this might sound strange and over the top but with an older dog it would pay to kind test drive it before taking one on.  What I mean by that is something that the Dog Whisper mentioned in one of his TV series with a dog being adopted.  See if the Owner will take the dog for a walk on the leash with you, say around the block and see how it reacts to its environment,  then ask if you can take the dog for a short walk with out the owner (maybe they can remain back while you walk up and down the street) or out in a park environment.  If you have children observe how the dog interacts with them, and also while they are playing games (do they dominate, get growly or jumpy and nippy). Some of these can be put right with training, but something to have in mind, that they and you may need more training to acheive that.  

Get as much info from the owner about why they are parting with their dog/s, as well regards to socialization history i.e puppy training, dog socialization.  Vaccinations, spaying or neutering, general vet histroy (any allergys or itchy skin conditions) etc...  They should have current Registrations and may be mircro chipped if under 3 years old ( I think thats when it came in).  The food they have been on. Commands the dog is use to (you may need to get the owner to right them down so that all the family use the same commands etc... Any problems  with barking.  
If the dog/s have been well looked after and socialized then it should be all good.  Don't forget to get their vaccination book, you may even be able to ring the vet they use and check on the history.

It can be so tempting to just see a dog, fall in love with it and take it home, but you don't want the heart ache of a pet that needs alot of medical attention or has agression issues with other dogs or people.  Unless you are experienced and perpared to take those conditions on.

Anyway wish you well in your search. :)

sl_simpson
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby sl_simpson » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:55 pm

Hi Tina
Here is Mollie on Trademe She might be suitable.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 489828.htm

TINA
new born
new born

Postby TINA » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:19 am

Mollie looks adoreable thanks! just the sort of girl we are looking for, I have emailed Mollie's current owner!

With Thanks!  :)
Tina

Hallmark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hallmark » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:34 pm

Hi there Tina, we have a spoodle that is 21mths old, she is black with a white chest.

She was sold to a family who loved her but about 6mths ago sadly the family broke up and so she came back to us.  She really would be best suited to having a family of her own or with one other dog.

She is a very happy dog, alot of energy still, bounces everywhere, loves to please you and quick to learn.

She has unfortunately just had a shave as her coat was getting long and hot and she swims alot, I thought it would be easiest for her to have a full shave for summer...not the best look for a spoodle though!

I have her mother here, a gold and white cocker spaniel, her father was a black miniature poodle (rip)

She is a great family dog that would benefit from some boundries and training but mostly love.

Let me know if you are interested.
Hallmark Kennels
Breeders of quality Oddles, raised with unlimited TLC

amymac
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby amymac » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:11 pm

That's heart breaking for a dog to lose its family like that. I hope a new loving family is found for her.

Hallmark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hallmark » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:00 am

Yea it is really sad, sad for the family to as the kids not only lost their family situation, but their dog too!

Pepper has settled well here though, at least it was something familar for her to come back to.  She had stayed with us many times when they had been away as well.

My husband wants to keep her, he really likes her, but we cant keep them all, I think she would be great in a loving home.  Besides I have 3 black spoodles with her, totally not needed, and I CANT part with the other 2, I have had them since birth and I am way to attatched.....even when they are naughty!
Hallmark Kennels
Breeders of quality Oddles, raised with unlimited TLC

TINA
new born
new born

Postby TINA » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 am

We now have the lovely Pepper a 21 mths spoodle girl, she is going to be be a much loved addition to the family, though she is still very confused about her new home.   :)

amymac
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby amymac » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:51 pm

Congratulations Tina. I would love to see some pics of Pepper. Cool name too. That was convenient.

Jax
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Jax » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:31 pm

Thats great news Tina.  Sending jingles for everyone to get on well and for Pepper to settle in with her lovely new family.

:D  :D  :D
TTFN

Jax

Return to “North Island”