Dog as Running Companion - Advice, Equipment, Training, Etc.

Post all General Dog information or Questions here!!
crowek
new born
new born

Dog as Running Companion - Advice, Equipment, Training, Etc.

Postby crowek » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:02 pm

Hello,

My wife and I have a 4 month old Vizsla puppy (our beloved 11 y.o. Labrador passed away in March, so we're not new to dog ownership) that I plan on running with as she matures. The Vizsla's running abilities were one of the big reasons for the breed, along with their "velcro" nature. That said, I never ran with our Lab--she was on the happily lazy end of the doggy spectrum--so I'm rather in the dark about training, techniques, quality equipment.I don't plan on doing any significant(-ish) distance or training with her until she's about 10-12 months old per our veterinarian's guidance but currently run with her for a max of 5 minutes at a time (again, per Vet's advice) in between other obedience activities. I regularly run 6-8 miles a day 5 days a week and do a 13+ mile long run once a week (mileage is increased if I'm training for a full marathon) and am well aware she won't get to that level for quite some time, if ever. I'm currently looking at Ruffwear brand harnesses for her and belt for me. Does anyone have any experience with this brand or have other recommendations, whether it be brands or types of equipment? Also, are there any training schedules, advice, or experiences that you could share as my little girl and I navigate our way through this process?
One issue has already surfaced: wife and I had a disagreement re: heel training. My wife's parents used to breed and show dogs many years ago, so there's some sense of "tradition" in techniques she's familiar with and accordingly, intended to heel train her on the left. Given my personal preference, and intent for her to be a running companion, I much prefer her to heel on the right given that she'd be out of the way of other runners, cyclists, etc. on the trails we'll be on, and likewise give her ready access to grassier surfaces. Based on my preliminary research, heeling on the left is merely a traditional approach (standard for showing/confirmation/etc.) but there's little other reason for it--curious how others have approached this issue.

Please help

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.

References:
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249152
Product Video Service

Thank you

Return to “General Board”