Anyone in Nelson/nearby can share re: grooming your own dog?

This Board is for all Dog Grooming Questions and Answers!
TinaMax
new born
new born

Anyone in Nelson/nearby can share re: grooming your own dog?

Postby TinaMax » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi there,
We are thinking for a while now of getting our own clipper (I have seen most of owners here posted answers that Wahl KM series are the better ones to pick).

I would like to know if there is anyone live in or around Nelson who experienced grooming their pooch(es)... It would be great if I can see you doing it, and wish to be able to asks questions & get some tips while seeing you grooming :)

Any response from anyone would be welcomed!! :) Thanks in advance!

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Re: Anyone in Nelson/nearby can share re: grooming your own

Postby Teddy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:41 pm

You do need a good pair, ones with strong cutting power.... I tried our cheapish hair trimmer on teddy and it would just get stuck. My brothers ex g/f use to have really good clippers on there spoodle. She was very curly and has almost a sheeps coat. She just clipped her almost bald, made her look pretty ugly but that was usually cause they would let her get very mattered... Teddys fur isn't overly woolly so i'd imagine you will need the strong ones no matter what spoodle coat you have. Don't make a big fuss out of trimming as this can lead to them hating the clippers... I don't use clippers but I have tried a couple. We did have a good pair early on which costed quite a bit however they broke eventually. I do recall it reduces trimming by about 5 times and it's very easy over scissors, but its something I would need to save up and buy ;) .... If you do get a good pair you can cut through any knots they get with ease, and usually just brush out anything remaining or use scissors. I don't know any groomers around nelson though there must be a few as there are a lot of spoodles down there. I would think start with a brush, then use the clippers, finish off with scissors around the paws and face then give them a bath to get rid of the loose fur.

TinaMax
new born
new born

Re: Anyone in Nelson/nearby can share re: grooming your own

Postby TinaMax » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:30 pm

Wow many thanks for the tips! We finally gave up the groomer and decided to buy clipper... Which is exciting! Can't wait to receive it and groom Ranger with it... We chose Wahl KM2 and get the one that come with 4 different steel guides. I saw another seller offers the one with extra #7F blade but with no guides, but I guess it's more beneficial for me to start with different size of guides first so I can straight away groom him.... later when I get used with the clipper then I may get other blade if needed...

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Re: Anyone in Nelson/nearby can share re: grooming your own dog?

Postby Teddy » Sun May 08, 2016 5:38 pm

Just gave teddy a clip today still works well after many years of use

TinaMax
new born
new born

Re: Anyone in Nelson/nearby can share re: grooming your own dog?

Postby TinaMax » Sun May 08, 2016 5:55 pm

Thanks for the update. I have now several times groomed Ranger with our KM2 and it stays strong after these years. I always cleaned the blades and oil it, even in between clipping as Ranger usually got quite anxious or nervous when clipper got noisier than before. And I took several sessions on him, giving him a time out in between. The next step would be getting my own grooming table, or at least the detachable grooming pole. It is very convenient to have our own grooming clipper, as I could alter his groom timing often or fewer, depends to his needs. And also aim to get that 7F blade to make the result smoother....

Return to “Dog Grooming”