A drastic cut at the groomers :-(

This Board is for all Dog Grooming Questions and Answers!
spoodies
new born
new born

A drastic cut at the groomers :-(

Postby spoodies » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm

We eventually got our 10 month old spoodle clipped. We have recently just been on holiday where we spent most of our time on the beach. This of course played havoc with Milo's hair. He had a beautiful coat, got admiring glances all the time, but underneath there was a lot of matts. Around the ears, neck, tummy, front and back legs. Anyway, after his first trip to the groomers he has come back looking like a completely different dog. He has been shaved. Still has a bushy tail and just a trim around his face. How long will it take on average for his hair to grow back? This time we will oviously try and keep on top of any matts appearing so that he does not need such a drastic cut again. I think he looks miserable as well, not the happy puppy he was this time last week. Any advice on hair regrowth speed would be good.

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Re: A drastic cut at the groomers :-(

Postby Teddy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:25 pm

When they get matted you almost have to get them shaved and they look like a different dog completely... Can take a couple of weeks to get back to normalish look... i trim my spoodle about once a month or so, usually he has grown about 2 -3cm or so ... could be 2 or so months before the fur is back to normal size i think

vanfam
new born
new born

Postby vanfam » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:26 am

Thankfully Bells' coat tends not to matt too badly but she's pitch black and when the weather started warming up she would get really hot in the sun. Since she loves being outside we decided to have her shaved (in a very similar style to what it sounds like Milo received) and we weren't sure we'd collected the right doggie from the parlour because she looked so different :) - that was about 4 weeks ago and it hasn't grown much but at least she can run around now without getting too hot. Will keep you posted on when she starts to look like her former self again :)

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:36 am

Yeah I just trimmed teddy again last weekend... i still use scissors so takes some time... still wanna buy some clippers maybe later, lol... he has gone from looking really fat to slightly chubby ;) ... but will like not getting hot... teddys fur isn't overly thick so he doesn't get alot of knots which is lucky..

Spoodygirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Spoodygirl » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:30 pm

I keep my lot failry short and find that they grow back really quick. They are clipped around every 8 weeks. I do it my self and just use clippers. Dont worry it wont take long till it grows out, if you want to avoid the same situation next time, lots of brushing once the coat starts to get long and if you get a knot just tease it out with the brush or clip it out with the scissors. 10 months is a bad time to as your pup will be in transition from puppy to adult coat which can be a night mare, you will find once the full adult coat comes through it wont be so bad!

Return to “Dog Grooming”