My Puppy is Nearly Bald

This Board is for all Dog Grooming Questions and Answers!
lippyleipreachain
Puppie
Puppie

My Puppy is Nearly Bald

Postby lippyleipreachain » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:23 pm

OMG, I just took my puppy Cleo to the vet to have her first clip, as it is getting very hot here in Vanuatu and she was showing obvious signs of discomfort.
I asked her just to clip her face, paws and around her bum to make her more comfortable as it is going to get hotter still in summer so I didn't want to give her a full clip too early on.
Well, I came back to pick her up 2 hours later and not only was the poor mite terrified, but she is almost bald all over. She is like a totally different puppy and has none of that beautiful coat left.
Once I took her home and gave her treats she came back to her usual cheeky self, but I worry that her coat will take for ever to grow back, or that it wont grow back the same.
Now I'm going to buy my own clippers and do it myself in the future. Does anyone have any suggestions for DIY clipping made easy, and not stressful for pup?
Also, thoughts on how long before she gets back toher shaggy self would be most appreciated.
Cheers 8-)

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Re: My Puppy is Nearly Bald

Postby Teddy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:15 am

Yep DONT MAKE A BIG DEAL ABOUT THE HAIR CUT... don't tell your dog you are giving it a hair cut, don't talk to it... simiply just plug the clippers in and trim... make sure you don't just sneak up with teh clippers... let them sniff them and get them use to the sound.... don't let them run away if you are clipping them... clippers can go horribly wrong if you get them excited before the haircut... could be a good idea to take them for a walk first clip them afterwards... treats can help but make sure you aren't encouraging it when if it becomes scared... DONT GIVE UP! <- its a biggy

Spoodygirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Spoodygirl » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:05 pm

What a pity the groomer didn't listen to what you wanted! It happens so often. Don't worry about puppys coat, it will grow back before you know it. I clip all my 4 myself and have never looked back.

lippyleipreachain
Puppie
Puppie

Postby lippyleipreachain » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:59 pm

Hi guys,
Thanks for the reply. Her hair is coming back, although it is getting so hot so early here she may be needing another clip before she gets back to her former fluffy self.
FYI, I now have a Wahl dog clippers so will be attempting it myself next time.
Thanks again for the suggestions :)

Spoodygirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Spoodygirl » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:06 am

I use wall clippers too, the km SS with stainless steel guide combs, they are fantastic. Good luck.

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:00 am

I still gotta get teddy a proper pair of clippers ... still scissor trim him... lol

Return to “Dog Grooming”