grooming and ear question

This Board is for all Dog Grooming Questions and Answers!
Fiona
Puppie
Puppie

grooming and ear question

Postby Fiona » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:21 am

Hi there
haven't been on the site for ages. Our Stella turned 1 on Monday and we love her to bits. I have become a complete convert to dogs (well, cavoodles anyway) after always being a cat person.
After having her professionally groomed twice we bit the bullet and bought a Wahl pet clipper - not the top of the range but fine for her. She was very good for us even tho she doesn't like it.
While doing her head i realised she had a huge ball of hair, dirt and sand in each ear canal - I snipped the hair around one and pulled it out bit by bit, the other I softened with baby oil and left to soak then snipped and pulled  - it was about 3cm x 2cm and smelt a bit. Her ears look fine now - how do I prevent this in future? My Dr Bruce Fogel dog guide talks about plucking the ear hair but that seems a bit cruel. Any ideas?

Spoodygirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: grooming and ear question

Postby Spoodygirl » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:30 pm

Hi Fiona, I have had a few ear trouble with my older boy and have a regimin I keep with mine, I dont pluck thier ear hairs in the older 3  but in the youngest, I have twoce so far he is 15 months old, only because he had a lot of fur in his ears. I also thought it sounded cruel but seriously it doesnt even hurt, he didnt flinch or make a peep at all when I did it, you just have to make sure you have a firm grasp of a few hairs inside the ear canal at once and just pull, it kind of just comes away, I like them to have a few ear hairs as I think it does give them a bit of protection from things getting in there. I also use some stuff I get from the vets called oti clean and clean thier ears out once a week and also if they have been swimming I do an extra clean. We havent had any ear troubles here (touch wood) for a long long time. Good luck.

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:31 pm

keep it trimmed?? sounds like a knot in her ear, if you have never done it before then i guess just check the ears... and trim it out whenever you trim her... i doubt it will get that bad again as that would have developed over the year.... Ted's ears don't have to much hair in there however my mums dog does and she just trims it... i can't imagine you could pluck all that hair out if theres alot in there, plus the hair in the ear is important, its not something which grows naturally just to mess with the dog.... i believe the more hair in the ear the less problems the ears have.... obviously you need to keep it in check...

amymac
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby amymac » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:54 pm

I have been plucking Riley's ear hair since he was a little puppy. Get the groomer or vet to show you how to do it. I also put otocleanse in once a month. I only pluck the really long hair, some is still left in the canal but if it is not blocking the canal I can't see it causing any trouble.
I just pluck Riley's whenever I remember. He is really used to it and is fine with having his ears handled. It doesn't seem to hurt. Now one of his favourite places to be petted is under his ears so he obviously doesn't have a complex about it.

Return to “Dog Grooming”