How to groom?

This Board is for all Dog Grooming Questions and Answers!
Floss
new born
new born

How to groom?

Postby Floss » Wed May 06, 2009 5:43 pm

Hi there,
Floss is nearly one year old and she has had a lovely coat up until the last couple of months when her adult coat has kicked in and she has been getting more and more mats and knots.  She doesnt like being brushed so I must admit Ive been a bit slack in the grooming department. I took her to the groomer today and they said that they had to cut her really short to deal with it.  She is basically bald!  Not right down to the skin but she looks terrible.  I need to know how to deal with grooming and need your advise on how often to brush, what brush to use and any other tips you can give me as I never want to have to do this to her again.  She does have an extemely dence coat.  Any advise would be most appreciated.  Many thanks Janine

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Re: How to groom?

Postby Teddy » Thu May 07, 2009 8:54 pm

Brush perhaps once a week with one of those brushes with the little metal balls on the end of the pins, you might have to brush and cut out any knots.... keeping the triming up about once a month to a good length should mean the knots will be kept down.... bath aswell after walks to say the beach or else bath about once a week.... TEddy doesn't have dense fur so i'm not an expert on preventing knots however I owuld think that regular brushing and trimming should keep them down.... i think they shave them bald cause it takes quite an effort to get rid of all the knots, like hours of work and I think they would charge alot to do this....

amymac
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby amymac » Thu May 07, 2009 9:06 pm

Riley got clipped very short with his first groom but he looked really cute - we called him the "sport model". He just seemed to go faster afterwards to. What a shame your dog wasn't clipped nicely.
I am really lazy with grooming but I think it is probably practice in order to accustom your dog to it. That's how I got Riley to stay still for his ears to be plucked.

Sandy
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby Sandy » Fri May 08, 2009 2:33 pm

Hi we try to brush Maddy a couple times a week and bath her once a week. Sometimes she let us spend ages brushing her and other times its just a quick once over. We brought some detangling spray to help with bad knots but if they are too big we just cut them out. Much less stressful than trying to brush the big knots out. We had lots of trouble keeping her coat knot free at the one year mark as her adult coat came in but now shes 17 months its not knotting so bad.
We also found the longer the coat the worse the knots but we like the long look so have had to find the right length for us to manage. At that one year mark we had to go shorter but now it's a good length. The only trouble we are having now is all the falling leaves get stuck in her coat and end up on my carpet! :)
Regards
Maddy, Molly & Sandy

Floss
new born
new born

Postby Floss » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:00 pm

Thanks so much to you both for your feedback.  It is very much appreciated and very useful information.  
Kind regards
Janine

Roz
Oodle
Oodle

Postby Roz » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:55 pm

Thanks for posting this thread!

Any advice on how you can get pup to allow the brushing without all the chewing and nipping would be gratefully received  :o

LOL drowned rat tonight! Shows her spaniel side when she is wet :D

Last edited by Roz on Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spoodygirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Spoodygirl » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:57 pm

How to get pup to behave while brushing.

Number one tip, be firm you are the boss.

no baby talk in fact dont talk at all unless the dog is calm,
try treats intermittently while you are brushing to engourage good calm behaviour while brushing. Only treat if they are being calm.

dont give up because they are missbehaving (biting the brush etc) if you do they know they have won.

All mine are fantastic on the grooming table. Cooper would prefer not to get brushed but when he knows hes up there to be brushed hes great. Tully actually jumps on the grooming table when she sees the brush she loves it so much. Everyone says im so lucky they like to be brushed. But I think they have to learn to like it and the other biggest tip is start when they dont need it. All mine started being brused from the moment I got them. they only need like a minute a day to get them used to it.

Hey Roz, Dakota looks so cute all wet like a drowned rat!!

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:31 pm

also make sure you arn't hurting them by brushing to hard or trying to really brush out knots... they probably think its a game or just arn't to sure about what you are doing... i think alot has to do with the energy, if you are expecting a reaction you probably will get one... also don't approch them in a manner where you might stair at them and walk towards them with the brush... best to look away sit them down and just start brushing... you could also give them something which takes there attention away from your brush... and another thing might be doing it when they are really tired, so give them some exercise before the grooming

shirleys
Puppie
Puppie

Postby shirleys » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:22 pm

Hi There.  I have problems with Oscar not liking to be brushed either.  Have started slowly with him with a soft brush for a few minutes a day to get him used to it.  How often do you bath your spoodle.  I was told by the vet not to bath unless absolutely necessary as it damages the oil in their wool.  I have been getting the groomer to bath him but am going to give both the boys a good bath later this week.  He hates the dryer apparantly.  That will be interesting???  Do you bath them in the  shower or bath.  :)
Cheers
Shirleys

Roz
Oodle
Oodle

Postby Roz » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:59 pm

My girl loves the bath...I think it's cos I use nice warm water and pour it over her with a large plastic jug - she just stands there looking dopey..and drowned LOL

She also loves the hair dryer and now when I am drying my hair comes and jumps up to get it pointed in her direction - I oblige cos it really does look funny!

Still trying to get her used to the brush - have to admit I haven't been trying too hard with that one as her teeth are soooo sharp and she just wants to mouth and bite my hands and well to be really honest - it is just no fun!

igot2spoodlesyay
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby igot2spoodlesyay » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:43 pm

My boys are use to the bath, they are in it almost every day because they like to give them selves mud baths when im at work.  Brushing i do once a week, they still get knots, especially at their ears.  Here are some pics to prove my point ( any excuse)

amymac
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby amymac » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:54 pm

It's too cold here for baths in the evening but the back yard is like a mud wrestling pit and tonight my husband spilled Worchestershire sauce all over Scooter. Now I have a sticky muddy dog. Riley's better off as is not so low to the ground.
It's making me very jealous of those living in Australia.

BarbM
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby BarbM » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:34 pm

Great photos guys - I love those two muddy puppies, aw so cute! and what a sweet pic of Dakota :-)
My boys aren't too fond of me brushing their tangles either.. I only push them so far before getting the scissors onto the tangle
I think the key is to brush them often to prevent the tangles in the first place.. although I have to admit I often leave it too late!
These days I just keep their coats at a medium length and when they start getting lots of tangles I know its time for a hair cut.  I suggest looking into getting some clippers - its not really that hard once you get the hang of things and build up some confidence, and it saves a lot of $ in the long run.
With regards to washing, I have heard people say that you shouldnt wash them too often as it strips out the oils too.. but I think it depends which product you use.  Also spoodles are tricky because they are active mud-loving dogs, but we love to have them inside and give them cuddles.  I wash mine usually about once a fortnight or whenever they are mucky.  These days I use Aesop Animal shampoo which I stock up on whenever I'm in Aussie - you can get it from Myer shops - it is wonderful and keeps the natural oils in their coat, leaves them really soft and shiny, and one bottle lasts me months.  I've been told you can buy it over here now too but haven't seen it yet.. keeping my eyes peeled..

Before:

After:

igot2spoodlesyay
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby igot2spoodlesyay » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:02 pm

so cute, love the pics.

shirleys
Puppie
Puppie

Postby shirleys » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:14 pm

Love the photos soooo cute.  I have just invested in a pet dryer, it is spose to get rid of loose hair in the under coat and loosen tangles.  I also have clippers have had them for some time and was grooming both my boys but Oscar was really difficult with biting the scissors and trying to bite the clippers that I stopeed and have had them groomed 2x now.  Thought it would get them used to the process and then I could also follow the cut better for next time.  However the groomer tends to cut spoodles like schno and I don't realyy think that looks as good as leaving them natural like spoodles.  I am going to do it again next time.  Am leaving them longer over winter.  :)
Cheers
Shirleys

Return to “Dog Grooming”