Dog Grooming Help

This Board is for all Dog Grooming Questions and Answers!
Dogworkz Grooming
new born
new born

Dog Grooming Help

Postby Dogworkz Grooming » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:51 pm

Just to say Hi, I am on here to help anyone with grooming, a small topic is growing in new people and should be in here,

Dolly
Puppie
Puppie

Re: Dog Grooming Help

Postby Dolly » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:00 am

Ok.. tell us what we need to know. Poor Dolly got so matted, i was annoyed cos I was brushing her 2x a week and she still got matted. My husband had a go at trimming her.....(Not quite to grooming standards) .He now wants to do a course to learn.. does anyone know of a good course.

Dogworkz Grooming
new born
new born

Postby Dogworkz Grooming » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:07 am

Where do you live ?? We are based in Auckland and are happy to help.  My daughter teaches at a cost of $120 per day.
It could be the type of brush you are using can you describe it to me??
How long was her coat and is it like a poodle or spaniel??
Good on your husband for having a go,
Anne

Dolly
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Dolly » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:46 pm

Thanks for your reply.  Her coat was long, it had gone past the curl and started to look like it had been plaited and then brushed out ( you know the crinkly look) I was using a brush that   is a metal  pin one and then a comb as well.  We live in Auckland but my husband is quite keen to explore the option of learning to groom  and perhaps exploring a business venture.

Dogworkz Grooming
new born
new born

Postby Dogworkz Grooming » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:32 pm

You are very welcome to give me a call
021881271 mob or 2919166 evenings so we can talk futher.
Grooming is very rewarding but also hard on your body.
Just had my fifth steroid injection to keep going, but couldn't imaging doing anything else.
:)

Dolly
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Dolly » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:13 pm

I cant believe I wrote we live in Auckland. we so do not. I must have been thinking abut where you said you live. We live in nelson.. Do you still want a call??

Dogworkz Grooming
new born
new born

Postby Dogworkz Grooming » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:49 pm

Just a bit further than the Bombays.  Its up to you if your husband would travel for training.  What type of shampoo do you use??
We need to treat this type of coat as if its a perm.  Putting a fine comb through will frizz the coat, are their areas where she matts more than others??

Dolly
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Dolly » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:24 am

We were using the pet shampo from vita pet I think it is called. So what kind of brush and comb and shampoo would you recommend.
How long would it take someone to learn to groom. How many days course would be necessary do you think?
She got matted on her belly, her tail and a little bit o her back. So can you get perm type combs for dogs?

Dogworkz Grooming
new born
new born

Postby Dogworkz Grooming » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:18 pm

Hi
You need a conditioning shampoo, nothing very harsh that will strip the coat.  Treat it like a perm, dont rub madly just squeeze water out and make sure you use a conditioner.   Use a wide tooth comb to lift coat instead of dragging down. Her belly will be a problem and is prob better trimmed short as its her pillow and normally the area under the front of her legs where it rubs will be  a problem.
One shampoo which has a neutral PH level and is kind to the coat is a simple wool wash - there is only one kind to use and it is in a green bottle with a moulded handle. Eucalyptus is a good one as it kills fleas naturally it also comes in lavender.  Be careful you use the right wool wash it clearly says neutral ph on the back.  It is at most supermarkets.
Any human conditioner will do just put it on the ends of the coat away from the skin.
Ring my daughter about the training 021764130 Liz

carol
Puppie
Puppie

Postby carol » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:20 am

Hi I am in Maraetai/Beachlands area do you travel that far?

Dogworkz Grooming
new born
new born

Postby Dogworkz Grooming » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Been out your way today, done a spoodle, labradoodle.  Usually out that way on a Wednesday,
Anne

carol
Puppie
Puppie

Postby carol » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:57 pm

Thanks Anne,  Will arrange for you to come out some time in the next few weeks.  I've noted your number.

Sandy
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby Sandy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:27 pm

Hi I have a 2 year old black spoodle with a very thick  wavy coat.  I use  wide toothed comb (i just use a human one) seems to work ok.  I was just wondering about the wool wash to use. I assuming its the one in the clothes wash powder isle? And this is ok to use against their skin? I also have a 5 month old white/carmel spoodle who has a much thinner coat. Is this ok to use against her puppy skin? Thank you for any help you can give me.
Shame we live in Chch I would have been very interested in some training.
Regards
Maddy, Molly & Sandy

Dogworkz Grooming
new born
new born

Postby Dogworkz Grooming » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:39 pm

Hi Sandy
The wool wash is neutral ph so its safe to use on their skins, it is in the wash powder isle.  Be careful to only get the one which is in a moulded bottle its eucalyptus and lavender.  If you read the back of the bottle it will say neutral ph.
Sounds like you are doing a very good job with your dogs.

pj and rosie and brogan
Oodle
Oodle

Postby pj and rosie and brogan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:12 am

Hi, thanks for the advice regarding grooming and shampoo etc.  I am also in Christchurch like "sandy" from your previous question, and I was wondering if you know of anyone or anywhere you can go to in Christchurch for a basic course in grooming.  Maybe your daughter would consider coming down and doing a day course if we got enough people together to pay for it.  
Cheers
PJ

Return to “Dog Grooming”