Peanuts cough or gag>?

Your Doggy Health and Wellbeing, Questions and Answers posted here. Place any Dog Remedies and Recipes here aswell.
igot2spoodlesyay
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Peanuts cough or gag>?

Postby igot2spoodlesyay » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:26 pm

Hi,

The last 2 days peanut has done a weird cough gag time nose, almost like his nose is blocked and he snorts kind of thing.  He did it once yesterday when eating and then 4 times last night which kept waking me up, he just does it once then it stops.  Then today he didnt do it until lunch time when he ate he made the noise again.  Now since iv been home he hasnt done it.  I dont know what could be causing him to do it, there is nothing in his nose or throat and its not always when he eats, he ate brekky and dinner today with out it happening.

I called the vet and they said if it was something bad or to worry about it would be constant not every 12 hours or what not.  But i was wondering if anyone had any ideas what it could be... he seems perfectly fine, eating, drinking, sleeping and toileting is also fine...

Emma
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Re: Peanuts cough or gag>?

Postby Emma » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:09 pm

Coco went through that stage when she was really little.  I too was worried but it stopped after a while.  I found that it was often after she had been playing in the garden.  I came to the conclusion that she may have been digging and sniffing and some dust/dirt had gotten up her nose.

It did stop but couldn't tell you how long after as I really didn't pay that much attention once I had figured out that it was nothing serious.  If your vet says it's nothing to worry about I would just relax but keep an eye on it in case it does get worst.

Hope this helps you to relax :)

igot2spoodlesyay
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby igot2spoodlesyay » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:41 pm

Its good to know someone else has experience the same type of thing, his fine now has been all avo, i think its worse at night time for some reason, well it was last night...im not sure why or how...ill keep you updated on how it goes, they do play and dog in the back yard alot...ill see how he goes 2 night

igot2spoodlesyay
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby igot2spoodlesyay » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:40 pm

it seems to happen when his been sleeping or sleeping, some times he wakes up and makes the gag noise, or some times its after his just woken up and then for hours his fine, like for example, i got home at 3 and not once did he make the noise, yet he has been sleeping for about an hour and he just woke up at 9.30 and made the gag noise 3 times then it stoped.  Now his running around as if nothiing happend, so thats like atleast 5 hours where he hasnt made the noise and then does its very odd...i might take him to the vet in a couple of days if it dosnt stop, i wonder if it could be a reaction to his vacinations he had.

Lily
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Lily » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:19 am

If what your explaining is what I think it is then its quite common. I have come across this before, usually in bichons though. I'd love to say it has a long fancy name, but if it does, i dont know it! .If it goes on for a long time you can encourage them to breath through their mouth by covering their nostrils.
However, if concerned you should always see your vet!
Reactions to vaccinations usually happen within 24 hours of having them and this doesnt sound like a normal reaction, however you never know!

igot2spoodlesyay
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby igot2spoodlesyay » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:34 pm

thanks, he seems perfectly fine, just the odd cough/gag some times, been fine all day but im sure it will happen again...ill take him to the vet if he keeps doing it, trouble his the vet probly wont witness it because it only happens some times.

amymac
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby amymac » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:47 pm

Riley does this too. I think he has something in his nose or throat that he is trying to snort out. Sounds like a cross between a sneeze and a cough.

igot2spoodlesyay
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby igot2spoodlesyay » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:03 pm

weird maybe a spoodle thing...

Peanut dosnt seem to have any thing stuck, he does it mostly after his been sleeping it seems...

Its good to hear a few ppl have same issue with their spoodles.

Return to “Health | Wellbeing | Remedies | Recipes”