To collar or not to collar after the chop

Your Doggy Health and Wellbeing, Questions and Answers posted here. Place any Dog Remedies and Recipes here aswell.
kiwi06
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

To collar or not to collar after the chop

Postby kiwi06 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Okay, so no debate on should I or shouldn't I castrate the poor thing.  :(   It's been done.  But the vet nurse was a bit "well, you could put a collar on him if you think he'll start licking or biting."  How should I know?  So I've brought the collar home but haven't put it on him.  I have caught him down there a couple of times and told him "no" and distracted him but then someone said that it's once it starts healing that you really have to watch him.  What have others done?  And if I do put the collar on, is it for 24/7 or should I take it off at night when he should (theoretically) just be sleeping?   :-?

igot2spoodlesyay
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Re: To collar or not to collar after the chop

Postby igot2spoodlesyay » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

My vet said that if i decide to get them desexed i can ask to have the stiches put inside so they cant bite at it or anything...which is good cause no mess an such.  I still dont like the idea of having them operated on, its not that i want to breed with them i just dont want them to have to be operated on...vets arnt a happy place for me.

Spoodygirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Spoodygirl » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:24 am

I never had to use the collar on any of mine so no dramas here!! As far as desexing for those who have issues with desexing and I see a lot of people that have trouble coming to terms with the fact they should do it. As hard as it is to see them go through an operation it is harder again to see them suffer because it wasnt done, now this doesnt happen to all dogs but it can, when our old dog was 8 (not desexed) he got a cancer in his prostate, thankfully  the vet took it out and got it all and desexed him at the same time and he lived for another 8 years. But the vet did say there is every likly hood that he got the cancer because he was undesexed and not used for breeding. Also with girls it is most important due to a condition called Pyometra, for those who havent heard of it have a look here..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyometra
I can remember who asked now about girls tempraments changing, I didnt notice any temprament change in any of mine but possibly because I had all mine desexed between 4  and 5 months and we havent looked back!!  With regards again to the collar I would just judge by how much attention he is paying to the wound and if you cant be there to supervise the collar is probly a good idea as your not there to distract licking and biting. Good luck!!
Last edited by Spoodygirl on Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:39 pm

teddy got the collar or bucket, but thats because he loves wearing it.... I think if they are licking down there alot then yes put it on, and do it at night as you could wake up with the  lickig dog sound in the middle of the night.... they are made quite good nowadays but not to sure what brand you have.... if its impossible with teh bucket then you might have to not use it.... also check the bandage we found the fur was getting caught when teddy walked so that would make him want to bite at it... (sorry lilly, i should have told you  ;) ) it was just the cover bandage.... but you can't really tell that till they walk around....

Lily
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Lily » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:29 pm

I wont say poor Buster, but I will say poor you!! These boy dogs have it soooo easy, its probably more painful for you just looking after him. It honestly takes longer to prepare for the surgery than it does to actually do it, so dont feel bad! Plus you know the numerous health and behaviour benefits  :)
As for the collar. Not all dogs need it, but it's a good thing to have on hand just in case.
It's important they don't lick the surgery site as this will lead to infection, will prolong the healing period and make it more painful, plus they could open up the wound if they pull the stitches out. If your not around to watch them 24/7 then the elizabethan collar/bucket is your safest bet for when your out, otherwise if you are at home with him and able to supervise then it might not be necessary, distraction always works well  :) Some vets use a sticky primapore bandage over the wound, some dogs this helps, some hate it, obviously Ted was one of these and you could have said!! If they are worrying the area alot then perhaps they need some extra pain relief, there's no shame in asking, and spoodles tend to be sensitive souls.
If you choose to use the collar, remember to take it off for walks, (these walks should be on leash untill stitches are removed) eating and drinking opportunities, and when you're available to supervise collar free time.
Hopefully your vet will have sent you home with a post op sheet with their own clinics recommendations.

I have to admit that whenever my animals have needed stitches I have either stayed home with them or organised a babysitter! And at night had them on the bed next to me so I would wake up if they start licking or pulling at them. However I realise this might be several steps too far for most!!  :P

Good Luck. I know its awful but remember its only 10 days :)

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:46 am

well I could have said something, but it wasnt a big issue - atleast big enough to go downstairs and tell you, lol....  it wasn't totally straight forward with teds op as it swelled up alot for about a week or so and was in a bit of pain - as you can imagine mum said the i told you so speech making me feel terrible and why i did it.... but we put some drugs into him and it settled down....... but i would admit it was quite stressful - which is way i would definitly recommend doing it at an early age when you are attached but not attached like "attached attached" ..... i think teddy was a bit older and there for down there reacted a bit..... but now i so happy i did it, he has slowed down alot and not as stressed, he use to groan alot and seemed quite depressed at times........ i'm not saying there was anything wrong with the operation on teddy, more just saying get it done at an early age.... I can't see any gain in leaving them intact...  

kiwi06
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby kiwi06 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:31 am

I agree and I think it was reading about Teddy's experience earlier that made me decide to get it done at 6 months, whereas I might have toyed with the idea of trying to mate him at some stage.  It's just not worth it and I'd rather Buster didn't know what he was missing out on, if you know what I mean.  Anyway, things are looking good but I will take Sarah's advice (so great having you on board!) and start putting the bucket on when I'm not supervising as I think now is when he might be really trying to get at it.  

Thanks for all the advice, feedback and support.  

igot2spoodlesyay
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby igot2spoodlesyay » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:15 pm

Has anyone heard about the stiches being inside? thats what my vet said they could do, that way you dont see any stiches and they are cleaner ect?

Lily
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Lily » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:27 pm

There's always going to be internal sutures. The disolvable kind,
tieing off blood vessels, holding tissue together, joining the lower levels of skin together. Then there's the skin sutures, the non dissolving stitches you see on the outside.
Sometimes it's possible to not have external skin sutures at all, depends on the surgeon, how it goes, how big an incision they need to make etc, and the vet needs to have some pretty handy sewing skills.
Wont make that much difference to post op care from your aspect as same applies, might possibly be more comfortable to not have skin sutures as slightly less tension. But if they're needed then they're used and if they're not then they're not!

And as for Ted, he was unlucky. But then he always has been a bit special.  I blame the owner. Will probably keep his vet clinic in business for many years to come  ;)

kiwi06
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby kiwi06 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:32 pm

;D he he he

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:38 am

yeah you are probably right-you probably didn't hear a while back i hit teds head when i was shutting the van door behind me, he tryed jumping out.... the next day he had a large gash on it.... but i didn't take him down, it healed up eventually.... I did ask one of the ladies on the front desk whether it was worth it.... but i think they had enough of teddy coming in, and so did i  ;D i don't know what effect that big hit on his head will cause him, he actally gets quite a few little but here and there..... i think i do sound like a bad owner, lol..... oh well

Lily
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Lily » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:31 am

I didnt hear about that! What a missed opportunity, I could have been tormenting you about that for weeks! I guess its not too late  :)
Poor Ted, at least it hasn't harmed his good looks, he might miss those extra brain cells though!

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:39 am

yeah I went in early and talked to vicki? I don't know her name i think it is.. it was a month or two or three back anyway... I thought i might have mentioned it, but maybe not........ ahhhhhhhhh its sunny time to lay out in the sun - NO ONE SHOULD BE inside on a day like this!!
Last edited by Teddy on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi06
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby kiwi06 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:40 pm

Agree...unless you're in Dunedin.  Have you seen the cricket?  They're all wearing hats, scarves and Fairdowns!  Amazing, this country of ours.

Return to “Health | Wellbeing | Remedies | Recipes”