ticks

Your Doggy Health and Wellbeing, Questions and Answers posted here. Place any Dog Remedies and Recipes here aswell.
Tallulah
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ticks

Postby Tallulah » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:27 pm

we've just been down in Leigh for the night and they must breed ticks there.
All three dogs are covered in them.
They're all frontlined or prikticed up to date, so they should die. I've been picking them off one by one and putting them all in a jam jar! I have over 100!! Pretty labour intensive!
But one is stuck onto Bob's tummy. We have a tick hook but its not big enough to get out.
Short of everything I'm doing is there anything else?
If we take them for a swim will they drown???

sl_simpson
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Re: ticks

Postby sl_simpson » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:20 pm

Here is a exert from www.veterinarypartner.com

When you've located a tick, don't use methods you may have heard of such as applying alcohol, petroleum jelly or the tip of a hot match to remove them. They don't work. Instead, choose a direct method: Either use a tool to pull them off or protect your fingers with a thin glove.

For tools, a curved-tip jeweler's forceps ($25 to $50) is probably the best, and well worth searching out and keeping on hand if you live in an area with lots of ticks, especially small ticks. Various tools with slots that fit under the parasite -- such as the Ticked Off spoon ($5.50 from retailers) -- also work well.

Start your tick hunt with a little bowl of isopropyl alcohol at hand. No matter if you're using a tool or your gloved fingers, get hold of the tick as close to where the mouth is attached to your pet and apply steady, even pressure to remove the pest -- no twisting required. Once out, flick the tick into the alcohol to kill it and then dispose of the dead ticks at once.

Use a mild disinfectant on the de-ticked areas, and wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water when you're done clearing all the pests from your pet. Keep an eye on where the ticks had been embedded for any sign of infection, and contact your veterinarian if you have any concerns.

Tallulah
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Tallulah » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:46 pm

thanks for that.
The ones I've been picking off by hand haven't yet embedded themselves so it's easy if time consuming searching the little blighters out!
We have one of those tick forks which are excellent and really work.
I always thought you had to gently twist to get the head out to loosen the jaws? My Dh is a dab hand at getting them out this way.

I do like the idea of the jar of alcohol.

I was just filling the jar with water and drowning them.

Lily
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Lily » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:18 am

For tick control frontline only lasts monthly instead of the two months that it lasts for fleas so might be worth doing more regularly.
Happy tick murdering  :)

doyle and mollie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby doyle and mollie » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:12 am

i didn't think ticks were that common in nz?

we use advantage for doyle is it good for ticks? or should we change to frontline??
Last edited by doyle and mollie on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tallulah
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Tallulah » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:19 pm

I don't think they are all that common, we reckon that there must have been sheep in the fields recently or something.
Well today I've found no more so I reckon I got them all yesterday - I had over 100 in a jar of meths by the evening! Unfortunately this morning I found 2 fleas on Tallulah and Brodie has been bitten too so now has a collar on to stop him licking and turning it into yet another hot spot - won't be going back down there again with the dogs in a hurry!

Oh Lily, thanks!
Tahnkfully we don't seem to have any ticks at home. Whew

Return to “Health | Wellbeing | Remedies | Recipes”