Poisoning

Your Doggy Health and Wellbeing, Questions and Answers posted here. Place any Dog Remedies and Recipes here aswell.
amymac
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Poisoning

Postby amymac » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:22 pm

Riley caused a stir this morning. I answered a phone call and left a container of prunes on our couch. After I got off the phone I found Riley had got them and managed to get the lid off and was chowing down. I was worried prunes might be poisonous because raisins etc are toxic for dogs. I called the vet and apparently dogs have to eat a large number of prunes before they get sick - they aren't as bad as raisins. I think Riley only got one or two so am just keeping an eye on him.

I'm not sure how to stop Riley trying to steal stuff off our couches and counter tops. He previously managed to knock christmas cake off the kitchen bench and ate a slice before I got to him. He steals other stuff too not just food eg keys, letters, shoes, laundry. Do other people's dogs do this? How do people stop this? Do they grow out of it as they get older?

Tallulah
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Poisoning

Postby Tallulah » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:14 pm

All of ours used to steal my pants - and it was when they were clean !!! wierdos!
And they once got a hold of a full bumper packet of maltesers and ate the lot.
Thankfully they do seem to grow out of it and they are perfectly behaved now -- yeh right!

Sandy
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby Sandy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:11 pm

Maddy loves socks but only if they are dirty! ::) I don't think anyone has a pair left. And pegs she even steals them from the peg bucket. Must admit we don't leave food down low or on bench edge pretty sure she wouldn't be able to resist. But we think ourselves lucky because she doesn't chew the furniture or other stuff. Good luck with outgrowing we are waiting for it to happen. Can't keep blaming it on puppy stage forever. :D
Regards
Maddy, Molly & Sandy

igot2spoodlesyay
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby igot2spoodlesyay » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:19 am

My boys do the same, shoes, letters anything with in their reach, i put my shoes up high on a little shoe shelf so they stand up on2 legs and reach for them, they are nawty little buggers some times, but soooo cute,

sl_simpson
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby sl_simpson » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:33 am

Hi Amymac and Riley

I have had similar experiences with my two also both steeling stuff.  Bella was alot more work with it.. tea towels, socks, pens, toliet rolls shredding full ones etc...>:( or I should say I was not all that on to it as to what to do,  we went though a quite a  stage and many sturn no's, leave and gives later when caught. Food has been longer to reinforce the leave with. Have put most things out of reach also.  She is now largly over it. ::)
Casey has not been such work he gives the items up quickly although he too has run off with socks, shoes, cloths pegs, and learn't to take the toilet rolls and shred them  :o, have caught both in the act recently  :D wonder where he pick that up from  ;D

The thing is to catch them in the act and reinforce the good manners (commands) to leave, give or bring.  
Somethings I have done.
Do a set up, where you have one of their favour steeling items out and watch them, have treats on hand, when you see them showing interest at picking it up, use leave or a strong sisst sound, if they do leave give treat or play with them for a few mins with another toy.  Definately don't chase them.  
If they have picked it up, use come and give.  If they won't come try to side track them with a game with another favourite sqeeky toy, moving away from them, making out its more fun.  When they do come up to you with the item, don't snatch the it away (it makes it look like a prized item), try take it carmly using leave and give, try to get them to put it in your hand or at you feet and treat for doing so.  

It does take time and being consistant but they do learn and grow out of it mostly, or it gets lots easier to get them to give it up  ;)

Return to “Health | Wellbeing | Remedies | Recipes”