puppy with diahorrhea

Your Doggy Health and Wellbeing, Questions and Answers posted here. Place any Dog Remedies and Recipes here aswell.
Sienna
Puppie
Puppie

puppy with diahorrhea

Postby Sienna » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:36 pm

My 13 week old puppy has had diahorrhea for approx 18 hours. It's not constant, but it's not showing any signs of firming up. She isn't drinking or eating as much as I'd like her to either. When should I think about taking her to the vet? She's the first dog I've owned in my life, so any advice welcomed!

Oh, I think the diahorrhea is due to us giving her too much roast lamb leftovers. I don't realise varying her usual diet would be that bad! I don't think she's sick from a bug.
Last edited by Sienna on Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amymac
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Re: puppy with diahorrhea

Postby amymac » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:02 pm

I would take her to the vet if you think her fluid intake is not keeping up with her output (either because she isn't drinking or because she is just having massive amounts of runny poos). If she gets dehydrated she will likely become quite lethargic and needs to go to the vet straight away. Otherwise if she still seems pretty happy and is drinking I would be inclined to wait a bit longer.
That's just what I would do though - you have to be comfortable that she is reasonably well and if any doubt go to the vet.

Maddison
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Maddison » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:15 pm

you don't want  to get it too the point that she is too dehydrated. Take her to the vet and what they will do (well mine has done in the past) is give you a special powder to mix with water to give to her gradually this will give her the much needed hydation. Yeh roast lamb is a tricky one because its such a rich meat and often fatty, most pups will get an upset tum from it :(.. hope shes ok!!!

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:12 am

first dog - any problems always take to the vet! I think thats a good rule to have, sure you might come a cross as feeling silly you did but every visit you go there you find out alot about your dog and then you start to build confidence in issue your dog might have in the future. We now buy cream and stuff from the vet to fix alot of minor problems, which use to be major problems till I learnt about them after a few visits to the vet... lol... i'm sure they dread me going in there anymore  ;)

amymac
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby amymac » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:36 pm

I am a bit gung ho about doing things at home because of being a people doctor. )Previously when my cat got sick I actually googled how to examine her.) Have actually discussed this with the vet who thinks its all okay as alot of the signs of serious illness are the same for dogs and children. I'm pretty happy to judge whether my dog is dehydrated or not but if you are at all unsure definitely see the vet.

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:10 pm

yeah what i was saying was that when ted was young i did take him to the vet if something was wrong with say his foot and he licked it, now i have techinques and creams and stuff to fix these problems... which i don't worry about anymore... i think as time goes by you learn more about your dog and its habbits  ;)

amymac
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby amymac » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:11 pm

it looks like Teddy is pretty well cared for!
My major worry with Riley at the moment is the amount of foreign material he eats which then comes out in his poo - bits of fluff, sticks, crumbled up tennis ball he managed to shred, a piece of plastic. He manages to dig stuff up out of the garden, I don't know how he keeps finding it! Anyone got a solution for this problem?

Return to “Health | Wellbeing | Remedies | Recipes”