Picky Eater....Any ideas????

Your Doggy Health and Wellbeing, Questions and Answers posted here. Place any Dog Remedies and Recipes here aswell.
Kiwipyjamas
new born
new born

Picky Eater....Any ideas????

Postby Kiwipyjamas » Sun May 10, 2009 12:31 pm

Hi All,

Lois is turning out to be quite a fussy eater.....she is on Eukanuba dry food and is not a huge fan at breakfast and lunch, but by dinner she will eat almost all.  I have found a brand of wet food that comes in pouches from the pet shop, which, if mixed with the dry stuff, goes down a treat at all meals ..... but it's $5 a pouch and a little pricey for our budget!  Has anyone got any suggestions????  Am happy to do the homecooking thing....Cheers!

amymac
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Re: Picky Eater....Any ideas????

Postby amymac » Sun May 10, 2009 2:48 pm

Just a general tip - only leave food down for 5 mins. If it's not eaten pick it up. If dogs have food down all the time it is a sign of leadership that they have control of their own food. (In the wild, the leader eats first, everyone else takes a turn and eats quick or misses out). Dogs will save food to give themselves more power if you lilke. This could be part of the problem. As long as Lois is gaining weight an occasional missed meal won't hurt.

About food - Riley didn't like Eukanuba but likes Iams and Purina proplan. His favourite was a sample of purina shredded blend but its an adult food. You can get sachets of wet puppy food from the supermarket for around a dollar each to mix in. Even use a half a sachet at a time. Other thing which can make food more appetising is wetting it or adding an egg.

Sandy
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby Sandy » Sun May 10, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi we also added a tiny bit of peanut butter or gravy to Maddys food when she was young as she would sometimes go for days without eating if it was dry. Gravy softens it up and I would just make up a little of packet gravy at a time. $1 packet would last a long time. She seems to have outgrown that now. Also she wasn't a fan of Eukanuba but seems to like the Science Diet Nature's Best. Sometimes she doesn't eat what we think she should but then I look at all the extras she gets from the kids and realise she's doing ok. Vet's happy with her weight and build so she is getting enough.   :)
Regards
Maddy, Molly & Sandy

Shelby
Oodle
Oodle

Postby Shelby » Sun May 10, 2009 9:01 pm

Hi all, I am also having problems getting Buddy to eat as well.  Boy is he fussy, I have tried everything.  I have changed to the Science Diet bikkies and he will eat a few of those, but only at night time.  I am providing him with some tin food on advise from the vet in the mornings but it is painful trying to get him to eat it.  Still trying to find the one he likes, so maybe I will try the pouches from the supermarket too, though he seems to have a sensitive stomach.   http://spoodle.co.nz/yabbfiles/Template ... smiley.gif  Unfortunately he does stave himself and begins to loose weight.  I am not use to a dog not interested in eating, it really makes it difficult doesn't it.  I tried adding things to the bikkies, Iv'e tried taking it away, and leaving it down, nothing seems to work.  He is currently eating a small amount each day (with my help) and seems to be putting on a bit of weight so I guess he is getting what he needs.  It is a worry though, I hope he grows out of it.  Anyway I will listen to any advise you guys can give.  Thanks.

Sandy
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby Sandy » Mon May 11, 2009 11:29 am

I confess that we also leave Maddys food out for her to graze. We know it goes against the pack leader rule but the vet told us it was something we had to do as she was also not putting on weight when she was younger. For a long time getting her to eat was a daily challenge. Sometimes no matter what we put on her food it just sat there and was ignored. Taking it away made no difference so vet said to leave out. Now she just eats what she needs which is not much. We also went though every brand of dog biscuits looking for something she liked. A bag of Science Diets Natures Best will last around 2 months. So she's still not eating a lot. But it does get easiler. As long as Maddy has plenty of energy we know she's getting enough.
Regards
Maddy, Molly & Sandy

sl_simpson
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby sl_simpson » Mon May 11, 2009 2:17 pm

Hi guy's

Have you tried just some plain fresh mince meat or choped up fresh uncooked steak or even some roast chicken.  My two never been picky with that put infront of them ;)

Kiwipyjamas
new born
new born

Postby Kiwipyjamas » Mon May 11, 2009 3:39 pm

Thanks so much for all your suggestions!  I shall try them all one by one.  I have tried gravy and also at a different stage, chicken stock, both seemed to work for a day or so, and then she went off it....

Sounds like a lot of them aren't too keen on Eukanuba....isn't it always the way, I have about 4 kilos of the stuff, 2 for 1 voucher!!!!!

Shelley, I'm sorry to hear Buddy still isn't eating well!  I know I told you Lois was doing ok, but she seems to have become markedly fussier!!!! If you don't mind a dent in your wallet, Lois loves Natures:Menu pouches (I have just re-read the ingredients list, it does say it has various sugars as the last item....maybe that's why she likes it!!!!)

I had forgotten about adding an egg, will try that tonight, and will also try the chicken mince.....Maybe she's just a bit of a princess and doesn't like a boring menu, well, I suppose who does?!

Thanks guys!!!!!   ;D

Shelby
Oodle
Oodle

Postby Shelby » Mon May 11, 2009 8:07 pm

Thanks also from me, I'm willing to try anything as it is a worry when they don't eat.  I guess he is getting enough but it sure isn't a lot.  It looks like it won't be just the bikkie diet for Buddy, fussy little puppy.  I'm sorry to hear Lois has become fussy, maybe it was Buddys influence.  I guess Buddy has a small appetite, so now I just have to find what it is he actually likes.  I will try all the advise you guys have given, thanks.

Spoodleman
new born
new born

Postby Spoodleman » Thu May 06, 2010 3:40 pm

Try PRO PAC. We're delighted with it and tried everything, including Eukanuba and Royal Canin. We got it from http://www.petfooddirect.co.nz (you can also get a free sample)
Good luck!

Return to “Health | Wellbeing | Remedies | Recipes”