matting fur--help please

Your Doggy Health and Wellbeing, Questions and Answers posted here. Place any Dog Remedies and Recipes here aswell.
kiwi06
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

matting fur--help please

Postby kiwi06 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:17 am

It seems to have happened all of a sudden.   :-[  And I do brush Buster, but obviously not doing it right.  So the matting is under his chest and on his legs so I made a drastic move last night...snip snip snip.  All over very short, but not so short around his head.  If I get brave I'll post a photo later.  Problem is, the matting is still there as they are very close to the skin and I don't want to go that close with the scissors.  I'm going to try brushing them out several times a day and see if that helps but if anyone else has suggestions, please help.  The brush I use is a good one from the vet but I'm wondering if I should have a comb as well.  If so, please post a picture of one so I know what to look for.

Better go give my skinny little lamb a cuddle.

kiwi06
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: matting fur--help please

Postby kiwi06 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:47 am

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 496316.htm

Just been looking at the grooming tools on Trademe--seems to be a lot of variety in clippers.  I suppose I should assume the cheaper ones are rubbish and not go there?  What about the Whal brand?  Anyway, I came across the Mars Coat King (link above).  Has anyone used one for a spoodle?  Reading the blurb, it suggests using it before clipping to get rid of the matted underfur.  My idea was to clip it all off, but I gather the clippers would get stuck on the knots?

Lily
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Lily » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:31 am

Whal is a good brand for clippers. It would clip the matts off, they wouldnt get stuck, but it would go down to the skin where the matts are. (Remember Oscar and the chicken leg cut?) But if Buster hasnt been clipped and your not very confident it might be a bit traumatic for you both. That mars coat king thing is more of a stripping tool so more for getting rid of excess hair rather than knots.

I find snipping off as much as you can, then pulling the matt apart, snipping a bit more, pulling a bit more and so one seems to work nicely. If you hold with one hand where the skin is and cut above your fingures, kinda like a hairdresser does, then you wont cut him. And dont feel bad, knots are a sign that Buster has been out enjoying himself! And the hair grows back very fast. Just ask Oscar!
Good luck i'm sure its not as bad as you think.

Tallulah
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Tallulah » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:15 pm

Is it the same in spoodles as doodles - when their proper adult coat starts to come through they are very prone to matting for a while.
We've totally given up with Brodie and keep him clipped, not drastically short but just all the time - we live on a farm and he's out in water and cow poop all day. It was just so time consuming spending yonks brushing him out every day still to be left with matts sometimes.

The brush we use is like this - it is really good!
Last edited by Tallulah on Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi06
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby kiwi06 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:25 pm

That looks very similar to my brush, but I do think I let his coat get too long, especially for summer.  Makes sense what you say about the adult coat coming in and then prone to matting.  Honestly, it happened all of a sudden--one day no mats, the next day I noticed them.  He's 6 month old now so I suppose that would be right?  Sigh.  Now his entire puppy coat is sitting in my rubbish bin.  I'm very sad about that.  I went a little crazy with the scissors and cut it very short.  Very.  At least he'll be cooler.  Poor Buster.  And thanks too Sarah.  I've been working out the knots with my fingers and that seems to do the trick.  Very time consuming though, so I hope this is just a particularly bad phase.  I must get better at my brushing though and really work on the base of the coat.

Cherie
new born
new born

Postby Cherie » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:17 am

a great thread - I have just struck the same thing with our 6 mth old labradoodle. He has a wavy coat and I take care to brush it (I find it quite relaxing actually) then all of a sudden it seemed to happen overnight  last week. Matting around his haunches and chest - could it be his adult coat coming thru? This is our first dog and I confess to some ignorance. Also what sort of shampoo does everyone use - we have been washing Nugget every 2 - 3 weeks - is this too often? Tho I am well impressed how the mud drops out when his coat dries after a good romp in the forst and maybe a river swim.  Thanks in advance everyone.

Cherie
new born
new born

Postby Cherie » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:20 am

Actually I shoud add here he hasnt been groomed yet - thought we would do it a bit further into spring. Am a bit nervous about it as there is only one groomer here (Rotorua) and they all seem to come out with the "Bichon Frise Look" if you know what I mean - I'm aiming for shaggy but tidy if that makes sense. Thinking about travelling over to Tauranga where we bought Nugget as they offer a grooming service there (and I could take him to the beach!!!) :D

sl_simpson
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby sl_simpson » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi there

I use a slicker brush mainly part the coat to bush close to the skin and brush their coats in all directions all over.  I find that keeps most matting and knots at bay.  Bella is brush more  a couple of times a week as she has the curler poodle coat and Casey less once a week as he has a straighter silky coat.  When they have long full coats I brush more often.  Does depend of what they have been up too and if someone has been roughing up their coats when they have been played with.  The bush session in general don't take too long.  If done often less time consuming. ;)

Slicker brush like;  http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pets-animals/Dogs/Grooming/auction-238374934.htm

and use Fido's Emu Oil shampoo and a Conditioner - Mink Oil available from Petworks online and petshops.  Found these to be good.  They get a full wash if really dirty and a quick rinse if just a little sandy from the beach.  On average a wash probably a couple times a month.

Some groomers that I had been to say about 4 -6 weeks for keeping the look (cut) about right, depending on length.  Just like hair dressers  ;D

AngelaJ
Puppie
Puppie

Postby AngelaJ » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:16 pm

Hi Totally understand your problem with matting, it is amazing how fast it happens! I got (human) thinning sissors from the hair care centre, they cost $70 but work really well.
I thin the hair around the neck, under the ears and under the "armpits" This stops them from matting in these places, I also run the thinning sissors through the rest of the hair especially the legs and it keeps it neat and tidy. I also bought Wahl clippers off Trademe and they are wonderful for giving my three a clip when needed, but they need to be showered, blow dried and brushed throughly first otherwise the clippers don't work. So I use the thinning sissors about once every three weeks in the areas that are more likely to matt and then clip them once every three to four months. Works out really well and they keep there cute shaggy look. Hope this helps and remember that the hair does grow back really fast if you get a look you don't like with the clippers, I have had a couple of those!

pj and rosie and brogan
Oodle
Oodle

Postby pj and rosie and brogan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Hi
Try using Martha Gardener wool wash as a shampoo - it is in the cleaning aisle at the supermarkets. It has a neutral PH balance, make sure you get the right one. Since using this we have very few issues with matting and the eucalypyus one is a natural flea treatment - we haven't had to use any flea treatments for the last 6 months. The dogs are both very soft. Their is also a lavender one available.
Cheers
PJ

Riley 2009
Oodle
Oodle

Postby Riley 2009 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:49 am

It sure does happen very quickly, fine one day matted the next - I was away for 10 days and Riley didn't recieve the brushing he usually would have, he had a couple of knots when I got home but within about 2 days was a complete mess. I got his appt at the groomers brought forward and thought I would get him back almost shaved. The groomer managed to avoid that but told me a good hint - when working the knots/mats out with your fingers, use a little cornflour, apparently that is the secret, it helps greatly. Molly is from the same family and although she is only 4 months old she appears to have quite a different coat, the silky wavy type so I am thinking I may not have quite as much of an issue. Would be good if it is true that it settles down when the full adult coat comes through.

holly
Puppie
Puppie

Postby holly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:27 pm

Hi I am so pleased to have read these comments. I have been away for a couple of days and have just had a chance to check the site. My cavoodle is 6 mths too and over night mats appeared. I have been worrying about it the last couple of days while I was away and couldn't do anything about it. It is reasuring to hear that it is not uncommon and the comment about the adult coat makes sense. I had made an appointment at the groomers for next week so I'm hoping that she can help. I'll spend the weekend with cornflower and my slicker brush to make a start.

Spoodygirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Spoodygirl » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:05 pm

Just a side note to anyone who is using Wool wash as a shampoo, i know of a person used this on thier dog and their dog had an allergic reaction and died, the vet said ti was from the shampoo.

With matting the easiest way to combat is keep your dogs coat to a shorter length and brush daily!! I dont have any worries with my 4 and matts at all. If I let their coats grow out to a long length I have to spend a lot more time brushing. So for me it is easier to keep the length managable and we can spend more time doing fun stuff instead of contant grooming!! In winter I clip my lot about once every 6 - 8 weeks with a 1/2 inch guide comb. In summer I use a 3/8 inch guide comb for a shorter cut. Problem areas can be under ears which I keep shorter and also between toes and under the pads it is amazing how many people forget these areas and it can cause all sorts of troubles. For the ones who have pups under one it does get batter as the adult coat comes through fully and the puppy coat is all gone.

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Tue May 04, 2010 2:24 pm

yeah definitly just keep your dog cut short,... i cut teddy around once a month and trim him quite short... he hasn't got an overly think coat... so he doesn't get to many knots.... only sometimes around the feet, paws, tail... probably the most commmon places actually... to be honest I dont brush teddy alot, just the odd time... but i do bath him everytime he goes to the beach so a couple time a week usually... wool wash sounds a bit dodgy to me... I would suggest just sticking to the google dog shampoos.. unless you know that wool wash doesn't contain any terrible chemicals... i don't know i haven't ever looked into that,....

holly
Puppie
Puppie

Postby holly » Thu May 06, 2010 9:42 pm

I took my pup to the groomer today and her coat is now a lot shorter but lovely and soft and mat free. I'm going to keep a closer eye on it and hopefully will not be caught surprised again.

Return to “Health | Wellbeing | Remedies | Recipes”