Ear problems

Your Doggy Health and Wellbeing, Questions and Answers posted here. Place any Dog Remedies and Recipes here aswell.
Sandy
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Ear problems

Postby Sandy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:52 pm

Took Maddy to vets today. She has been rubbing her ears more than normal I wasn't sure whether it was just a habit or a problem. Went to vets and she has slight redness in one of her ears. They have put her on ear drops for 7-10 days then we go back to check again. Has anybody else had trouble with ears and how do we avoid it?    
Don't want to have to keep getting ear drops at $40 a pop often. That was drops only. Still vets bills on top. :(  
Regards
Maddy, Molly & Sandy

amymac
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Re: Ear problems

Postby amymac » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:02 pm

I pluck the hair from Riley's ears whenever I remember. He is used to this now and it doesn't take long.

I put otocleanse in his ears around once a week and massage it around. Riley is not too keen on this but occasionally floaty bits of wax and gunk come out so I guess it does some good. This is what I got told to do at puppy class to prevent infections. So far so good.

Spoodles definitely are prone to ear infections from floppy ears. Apparently you should also keep the hair under the ear flaps well trimmed but I can't claim to have done this.

Sandy
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby Sandy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:06 pm

Thanks I will try that. I nearly didn't take Maddy to vets except I had heard spoodles can have problems. Vet thinks might be an allergy I hope not.  
Regards
Maddy, Molly & Sandy

Spoodygirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Spoodygirl » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:45 pm

Hi all mine have had an ear infection and sometimes it cant be avoided, I am very cautious as My oldest dog Cooper now 2 and half had two perforated ear drums as a young pup, with no warning at all apart from he started to scratch a bit and I thought it was out of character for him and the vet couldnt even look in his ears he had a tantrum so they put him out to it and there it was both drums had small holes in them, the vet had no explanation but needless to say lots of dollars and lots of medication and a very grumpy dog later he was all fixed, even now we go to the vets he hates it and they cant get even close to his ears even with a muzzle on he just goes nuts, i feel so sorry for him when he gets so stressed out liek that it is awful to watch. So it has been a long road with Cooper and his ears to get him to trust me enough to clean his ears out once a week, but we are in a good place now, god help anyone else that trys :D
my regimine with my lot is oticlean ear cleaner once a week and more often if we have been to the beach as there is a chance beach water can get in and be carrying germs. That seems to do the trick here, we havent had any trouble for ages (touch wood) Most of the spoodles I know have had an ifection or two in thier life times it is very common with long eared dogs and I also keep thier ears free of hair and keep under thier ears rater short so that they can breath. You did the right thing taking Sandy to the vet as any redness can be the start of an ifection and if left untreated they are not nice, another way to tell if your pup has an infection is that the ear will smell like yeast very pungent and yeasty it is a dead giveaway. some dogs also dont start scratching until the infecton has really taken hold. Good Luck with Sandy and her ears!!

Barb

Hannah
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hannah » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:46 pm

Hi Sandy,

Bailey's had an ear infection. One of her ears isnt well ventilated, which is just something that happened at birth. She got alot of redness and black earwax and we had to get some drops. Shes recently had the same thing but it didnt last as long and we just used the same drops as the vet gave us before. I just try not to get water in her ear as that blocks it up alot and has been the cause of it the last 2 times.

Goodluck with Maddy! Thinking of her! :)
Thanks
Bailey and Hannah :)

Jax
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Jax » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:14 pm

Sorry to hear about Maddy, but as the others have said its fairly common with dogs that have floppy ears.  I've had a few ear infections over the years with my golden retrievers and my Giant Schnauzer so I'm expecting at some point that Sam will get them.

The groomer I took him too before Christmas plucked his ears in order to minimise any potential problems so I'll make sure they keep this up - not sure I could do it myself!  I guess this time of year with the humidity and heat would probably make them slightly more prone to infections, but either way the Otocleanse seems to work well.  When I remember I put some in both dogs ears, but I'm afraid I'm a bit random about it  :D

Hope Maddy recovers soon  ;D
TTFN

Jax

Toffee
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Toffee » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:27 pm

Toffee had quite a few ear infections and the vet suggested that we stop with beef as some dogs react to that. In his case it worked and he have not had any infections after that.

BarbM
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby BarbM » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:07 am

Wow interesting about the connection to beef - hadn't heard that before
We have been extremely lucky with no ear infections (touch wood). Banjo is now 7 and Charvis is 4.

Just trying to think of anything we could be doing differently to avoid it..   :-?  I do trim the hairs around the ears when I groom them, and sometimes pluck the hairs out of the ear canal - not very consistently though.  We stopped using ear cleaner when Banjo was about 2.  The vet told us it was good for their ears to build up natural bacteria and to only use the cleaner when they were extremely gunky.  Maybe that's what the difference is? It also might be luck?

I hope Maddy is feeling her usual self again soon!

amymac
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby amymac » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:15 pm

With all the varying advice out there it sounds like ear infections may be just luck of the draw! I wonder if anyone has done a scientific study on it (science nerd alert)

Sandy
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby Sandy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:55 pm

Thank you everyone. Is does seem that they are quite susceptible to ear infections. I will try the ear cleaner as the vet wants and see if that helps. Not sure I can pluck the hairs though. One of my biggest worries is that she wasn't upset or out of sorts when she got it. It was just on a hunch that I took her to vets so I hope I know again if I need too. :)
I will get daughter no2 to look up research on ear infections on net to see if a study has been done. will keep her out of my hair for an hour or 2 these holidays. Mind you Maddy will miss her when she goes back to school.  ;D
Regards
Maddy, Molly & Sandy

sl_simpson
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby sl_simpson » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:19 pm

Hi amymac and everyone

Science Nerd Alert ;D

Here are a couple of links worth reading  ;)

http://pethealth.petwellbeing.com/wiki/ ... Infections
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 91&aid=273

KerryRose
new born
new born

Postby KerryRose » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:34 pm

Hi everyone! I am a new owner of a spoodle but I thought I may pass some advice learnt last night at puppy school about ears. Apparantly you can put cotton wool in the ears when you wash your dog to prevent the water going down into the ear canal.
Also, I am not sure if this is related but Oscar had itchy ears when we first brought him home. He had this black stuff in his ears. The vet took some swabs and it turned out to be ear mites which are very easy to remedy. He was fine in a few days.

kimb
new born
new born

Postby kimb » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:55 am

Hi everyone, My dog Osa (11 years old) has had back to back ear infections for years, we are putting drops in her ear preventatively now every day.  I heard about the food connection and wondered if anyone can recommend a brand of dog food that might work.  Also for those of you with younger dogs, a common health issue to keep looking for in the futur is the eyes [highlight]not making tears anymore[/highlight].  Osa is now also on eye drops daily....an eye infection was the tell tale clue.  I also wish I could get rid of her acne, she has pimples and black heads on the bottom of her back, anyone have advice?

Art and Leroy
new born
new born

Postby Art and Leroy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:10 am

My spoodle gets fungus infections in his ears if there not cleaned out at least twice a week with MalAcetic Otic, its an ear and skin cleanser made by Dermapet I'm not sure if this is available in nz but you may be able to get something similar. It's also used for treating skin problems could be used to treat Osa acne,  although I've never used it for that my grandmother has on her cavalier.  

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:31 am

I've heard that quite often this is caused by there diet. Or reacting to something in there diet. I think dogs vary quite abit in what they react to - skin is normally a give away in human health that something is not quite right with regards to food intake. Sometimes changing there diet can produce sudden and amazing results however this would require abit of testing over a couple of weeks by  changing there diet - its usually an allergic reaction. What sort of diet are they on at teh moment? You can vary diet or take out one food item at a time to see the results. You could try fresh chicken, chicken necks /wings etc etc. try fresh gravey beef. Alot of people are tryign the green lip mussels and also fresh fish. I don't like stuff like canned food nor dry food as a single diet... the other thing is are you using a flea treatment? new tests are starting to reveal that flea treatments might cause health issues with your dog... then again without flea treatments the fleas can cause all sorts of problems. It's been found that fleas don't live on dogs usually, they live in your home. They feed on your dog usually only about once a month or longer. If you keep the area your dog sleeps very clean then they shouldn't get fleas. or treat your home for fleas - if this is the issue.

Eye problems could be a result of a diet issue and so could many skin issues.

Return to “Health | Wellbeing | Remedies | Recipes”