to crate or not

All puppys here. Post any questions or answers you may have about your puppy.
Maxwell
new born
new born

to crate or not

Postby Maxwell » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:18 am

Hi. I have a 5 mtn old spoodle, thrown more to the spaniel side, but gorgeous! We are getting there with the toilet training, she has a cat door to go out during the day, so not too many issuses then, only the occasional wet patch especially if it is raining outside! My problem is the night time. She likes to cuddle up in the lounge with our 12yr old Labrador, but always wees & poos during the night. I have now tried leaving the lounge door open, so she can go out the cat door down the hall, but all she does is sleep on the bed, play with the cats all night (on the bed!!) and leaves a wet patch in the spare room where the cat door is.
I am now wondering if I should get her a crate to sleep in during the night, to help with the toileting. Any thoughts on this?
By the way, her name is Tessa, is a mixed second generation spoodle, and like I say really strong on the cocker spaniel look (only one in her litter!!) but very beautiful.
Cheers

pj and rosie and brogan
Oodle
Oodle

Re: to crate or not

Postby pj and rosie and brogan » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:48 pm

Hi, we have a nine month old spoodle called Brogan who was crated at night until she was approx 7 months old and then she was allowed the run of the house with our other spoodle Rosie. She was good for the first week or two and then she started having accidents at night. On the nights she has accidents she always comes and wakes me up and after a while I realized that she was probably telling me she needed to go outside. We do have a dog door but she doesn't like using it - she got her tail caught in the door once. We have gone back to using the crate at night until she gets used to holding on all night - I would recommend the use of a crate, maybe put it in the lounge with your other dog. Brogan doesn't like going out to the toilet when it rains either and she originally came from the West Coast - you think she would be used to it.
Good luck
PJ

Maxwell
new born
new born

Postby Maxwell » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:54 am

Thanks for that PJ.
I am going to the pet shop today to have a look at the crates. I see there are a few on Trade Me, but no 'bargins' as such. Besides, I dont know if I can wait another night!
After always being fine in the crying department, being in the lounge with Max my Lab, no crying, she cried all last night as she is back in there now, instead of on the bed with me. What have I done!! I have never had a problem with crying, so now have created another issue as well as the weeing !!
I need some sleep! arrrrhhh

pj and rosie and brogan
Oodle
Oodle

Postby pj and rosie and brogan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:24 am

Hi
When you first get her crate I would suggest putting her in there for short times to get used to it during the day. When Brogan was allowed the run of the house she slept in my daughters room so now she is back in the crate we have set it up in there. Tessa will probably cry at night for a few days - it would be best to completely ignore her or she will think if she crys someone will come. Let us know how you get on.
Cheers
PJ

Ruby & Scott
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Ruby & Scott » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:04 am

We crated Ruby from day 1. I remember bringing her home and putting her in there while we ate dinner, she could see us - literally 2 meters away, but she cried and wailed. The first night we had her in her crate next to the bed. She settled after about 10 minutes of looking very displeased, when she cried I took her out to the toilet and then back to bed - no playing just did it.

Within a week we had moved her from our bedroom to the lounge without issue. From there she crated during the day when we were out and she was happy to go in there, but we only ever did it for short 3-4 hour amounts at the most. The "accidents" she had lasted probably 4 weeks and now I can happily say she has not had one for months.

Crating was the best thing we could have done, not once did she mess in her crate. As long as people realise that if you crate you have to be fair to the puppy - ie. No longer than the limit of their bladders in the crate!!

Maxwell
new born
new born

Postby Maxwell » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:10 pm

thanks everyone, will let you know how we get on.

holly
Puppie
Puppie

Postby holly » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:25 pm

Hi
Mary here. I just wanted to agree that using the crate is a great idea. I suggest that you make it really cosy. Not just a flat pad. I have a folded up duvet in my pups crate and I used the same thing when I had my labrador. I never had any problems with either dog at night. Good luck.

Maxwell
new born
new born

Postby Maxwell » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:35 am

Got the crate yesterday, and Tessa has been spending various amounts of time in it. The longest has been this morning, for about 2 hours in the sunshine! I have put her toys, & bed in there, as well as her polarfleece blanket, neither of which have had much use as she always cuddles up on Max's bed, or tries for ours, so she now has a place of her own. She 'talked' abit when first in for short periods, expecially when the cats went strolling slowly by! I may try putting her in tonight and see how that goes. The pet shop were very helpful, even gave me some 'accident pads' to go in for the alnighter if she does have and accident, and a dvd.
I am not sure if I need to put her in there during the day when I am at work (I am away from 8.30 till 3pm, as she can still fit out the cat door, and we dont really have too many accidents except for the rainy days!! What does anyone think?
My husband thinks this is all very mamby pamby, of course his Labrador never had this kind of carry on 12 years ago, being a 'real dog'!!

holly
Puppie
Puppie

Postby holly » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:42 am

Hi
I think 8.30 till 3pm would be too long because you don't want her to get stressed about peeing in there if she really needs to toilet.

Maxwell
new born
new born

Postby Maxwell » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:13 am

Yeah, I thought that too. She has been quite happy in there during the day over Easter, while we have been out for short periods (longest 3hrs), and even when we are a home, I have been putting her in and she sleeps.
We tried doing the night time, but she just howled so much I had to let her out. She was not even in there 5 mins. I had thought about putting the crate in our bedroom for her at night, but not sure if I want to get her in the habit of sleeping there, as our other dog has always slept in the lounge. Need to get something sorted, as I want to keep the lounge door open to let the warmth of the fire get thru the house (its getting cold down here in Dunedin now!)
Any suggestions? Do I just put up with the howling? It was only her 2nd day of having the crate when we did that, so maybe was just pushing things abit too soon.

Maxwell
new born
new born

Postby Maxwell » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:53 am

Well, just an update on the crating.
Tessa was spotted going into her crate by herself during the day for sleeps, especially when the crate was in the sunshine, so I decided to see how she would go during the night. I had put it off as I thought she would make so much noise like the first time, and I just needed to get some sleep. She obviously decided she quite liked having her own place, so put her in last Monday night. She had a bit of a talk about it, but settled down after about 10 minutes max. My husband was doing early starts, so got up at 5am to let her go out to the toilet, which went well, she went straight out for a wee.
My only mistake was letting her come back into bed with me for another hour, until I got up a my usual time of 6am. For the next night she let me know at 4am she needed to pee, all good, but was not too happy about being put back in the crate, and not on Mums bed as the night before. I guess she doesnt know the difference between still a few hours to go before getting up, and nearly time to get up, so come have a cuddle!
Anyway, she is now happy every night to go in her crate, and has a little talk around 4 or 5am to go toilet, then back in no problems.
She does like to come and have a cuddle before bed time on the bed with me, as my husband is always up later, and comes and gets her to go in the crate when its lights out.
I am really happy to have pursisted, and now have no puddles on the carpet in the morning. We have only had one accident in the last week during the day, when it was raining and she didnt go out the cat door. Not sure how we will go when she is too big for that, but will deal with that then!!

holly
Puppie
Puppie

Postby holly » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:14 pm

Well done, sounds like you have been getting things sorted. It is funny how if it suits them, they are happy for a routine to be set in stone but when they are not too keen they act like it is a completely surprising and unacceptable and why would you even suggest it!

strangefamily
Puppie
Puppie

Postby strangefamily » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:15 pm

Well done on the crating. Our dog is 14 months old now and still fits through the cat door. So Tessa might be the same. Funny thing is she learned to use the cat door quicker than the cat did.

pj and rosie and brogan
Oodle
Oodle

Postby pj and rosie and brogan » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:39 pm

Hi
Great to hear about your success with the crate. My only concern is that you have to get up and let her out to the toilet at 4am every day. She has you well trained. Personally I would let her talk for a few minutes and hopefully go back to sleep and let her out when you get up at 6am. It should only take her a couple of nights to get her in to your routine. I don't think she would have an accident in her crate. My Brogan is in her crate approx 6 to 7 hours every night with no accidents and Rosie holds on all night.
Rosie broke our cat door - she is on the larger side of spoodles, so we had a dog door put in. Brogan tends to be a wee bit nervous of it as she caught her tail in it once.
Cheers
PJ

CocosMum
Puppie
Puppie

Postby CocosMum » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:27 pm

Coco also fits through a standard cat door - much to the disgust of my sister's cat! :lol:

Well done on the crate training. I really wish I had done that with Coco but I feel that at 3 she is probably too old to do that with now. It would have solved at least one problem with my neighbor (more in another post).

Return to “Puppy Talk!!!”