to crate or not

All puppys here. Post any questions or answers you may have about your puppy.
Maxwell
new born
new born

Re: to crate or not

Postby Maxwell » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:09 am

Tessa is now sleeping through until 6am, so no 4am early morning wake ups!! Yeahhh
Coco may still be able to be trained? I was very skeptical of the crating, as it had been a long time since I had had a puppy, and thought it was all abit mamby pamby (sorry all)
but can't rate it high enough.
Thanks for everyones comments
Shelley

CocosMum
Puppie
Puppie

Postby CocosMum » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:17 pm

Yay Shelley - a full night sleep again... well done!

Our pups have just learned how to climb out of the box... it all gets much more exciting from here!

Luvvy80
new born
new born

Postby Luvvy80 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:12 am

Hi, sorry probably a really dumb question! But what is crating? I'm from Perth, Australia and not familiar with the term. I have been reading your posts. I have a 15 week male spoodle who sleeps in the laundry every nite, he doesn't cry to be let out during the night but does go on the newspaper every nite, he is a very good boy! We are heading into winter & he will keep sleeping inside, should I be letting him out during the night or will he learn to hold on during the night? Thx

Maxwell
new born
new born

Postby Maxwell » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:12 am

Hello sunny Perth! I lived there in 2006/07, what a lovely place, and such awsome hot weather.
I am new to crating too, so hopefully I give you a good description. Someone else may fill you in on any other bits I dont mention.
The crate is like an indoor kennel I suppose. If you have not seen one, I am sure your local pet shop or Vets will have one. They are a sturdy cage, with usually a door on the side & front, and a plastic removable tray on the bottom. We have Tessa's bed, blanket & toys in there too.
I guess it just keeps your little darling confined to his/her own space, and for me it was really to train to hold on to go to the toilet, which has worked really well.
Tessa now goes in on her own to have a quiet sleep during the day if she wants to, (I leave the door open during the day) but the main issue was her peeing on the carpet during the night. She is now holding on from about 11pm at night until I get up at 6am, and then gets taken straight out for 'toilet'. Where abouts in Perth are you? We used to live in Padbury.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Shelley

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:06 am

A crate is a space the dog can call its own...

Luvvy80
new born
new born

Postby Luvvy80 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:10 pm

Thanks Shelley & Teddy, that makes it alot clearer. Chewie is pretty good at the moment, but may look at getting one if he does start having accidents. We live in Success by the way, south of the river!

Return to “Puppy Talk!!!”