Pack leader

All puppys here. Post any questions or answers you may have about your puppy.
rachael.steer1
new born
new born

Pack leader

Postby rachael.steer1 » Wed May 25, 2011 4:29 pm

Hi :)

I have a beautiful 4 month old spoodle Nixon. My question is how do I become the pack leader? I understand he is still very young but I want to get things sorted before it's to late. I was hoping once he realizes I'm the boss he might train easier and listen better. He is going good so far and has learnt sit stay stand etc very quickly but leash training is not going so well :( he pulls and jumps about while out walking and I feel sorry for the wee guy it must hurt his neck and he makes noises like he's struggling to breathe :( purchased a harness but he's not to keen to let me put it on him he likes to chew it instead
Am I asking too much of him with being so young?

Thankyou :)

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Re: Pack leader

Postby Teddy » Mon May 30, 2011 10:35 am

yes you should start at the very young age, because they are learning and i wish i had started teddy at a little puppie.... even puppies attempt to dominate ppl they meet... you see this when ppl go and choice a puppy and often one or two will walk towards a person and come up to them... those are usually dominate dogs... even at that young age...

Its hard to write down everything you need to do, but usually a good place to start is to buy the ceasar millan books, they are very good.... The pack leader is all about not traditional training but rather proper care of a dog and teaching it to fit in to your pack... alot of dogs look for pack leaders in the family situation and never find it, they end up getting behavioural issue like charging the door, barking, bordom, stress... when they fill this need by becoming a pack leader... then most ppl punish this by yelling at them or only promoting the bad behaviours.... i would read these books and start to live your life around the way he talks about how you relate to dogs as this is 99% of the problem... normally the dogs are fine, its the way we relate to them which affects there behaviour

vinny246
new born
new born

Postby vinny246 » Mon May 30, 2011 5:48 pm

I absolutely endorse Teddies suggestion to start with reading Cesar Millan books.
I had an out of control Pug, I have been using the CM methods and I cannot believe the change in him.
The problem was not my dog, but me!
Best of luck.

DAISYDOG
new born
new born

Postby DAISYDOG » Mon May 30, 2011 9:50 pm

Hey! We have a spoodle the same age and having major walking/leash issues too! crate training -good, toilet training so so going to get a caesar book now :-)

pstanton
new born
new born

Postby pstanton » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:19 am

Hello i have a puppy Max (my first dog) he has been very good puppy but I have given him lots of love with consistent instructions so he knows what is acceptable and what is not. Its just like raising a child. I use only one word instructions i.e. no, down and he responds straight away however I noticed my husband tries to reason with him which i can see he finds confusing. My husband did not read the books. Imagine trying to understand a new language (one word clear instructions with a hand sign is so much easier to understand) Use strict boundaries and lots of rewards and hugs your soon be the pack leader. My bible is the Perfect puppy. Good luck from a novice

00laura.smith00
new born
new born

Postby 00laura.smith00 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:58 pm

Hey i have a pup around the same age... we also had to get him a harness! He is much better but recently has been doing a horrible snarly growl and trying to get away when we put his harness on! I am just giving him treats and praise after i actually get the harness on him!I'm sure they will get the hang of it and start to associate the harness with a fun walk!!...My problem is the traffic noise, freaks him out!

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:11 am

To get over the traffic noise you need to get it use to the noise and not make a big deal about it.... just walk it past the traffic... and keep walking it past the traffic till it walks properly and forgets about its nerves.... It hasn't learnt that traffics not a big deal yet ;)

Return to “Puppy Talk!!!”