New Puppy not eating much

All puppys here. Post any questions or answers you may have about your puppy.
Harmy
new born
new born

New Puppy not eating much

Postby Harmy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:47 am

Hi all.. I'm new here. Just got a new English cocker puppy last week - she was 12 weeks old when we got her. She's been with us for 6 days now and she's still not eating very much. In fact, neither my husband nor I have ever seen a dog with such weird eating habits. She grabs a piece or 2 of kibble and then runs to the other room with it, then a few minutes later will run back for another piece or two. Its so bizarre. Plus, she's only eating 1/3 of what she should be eating in a day.
The breeder was only feeding her twice a day, but we've upped it to 3 times to try to help. Also, I did switch the type of food she was getting right away - but over the first 6 days - in fact, today is the first day she's getting only the new food.
Any ideas? Anyone seen a dog that doesn't eat? Should I worry?

Murphy
new born
new born

Re: New Puppy not eating much

Postby Murphy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:55 pm

Try to see if she will eat some wet tinned puppy food, perhaps mixed with some biscuits

jazzi
new born
new born

Postby jazzi » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:44 pm

I know you're not meant to - but I mixed a wee bit of tinned cat food thru Jazzi's food when she was little as she wouldn't eat initially. Apparently the smell is alot stronger than in dog food - that seemed to do the trick. Or very small amount of grated cheese worked too.
With her puppies I initially moistened their dry food with a whole variety of things at different times - stock from cooked chicken, finely chopped chicken, mince and rice, tinned puppy food, grated cheese, and the cat food again when they've been reluctant to eat. Now that they're older a wee bit of cheese, a few of the cats dry biscuits, a very small amount of our leftover meat finely chopped (sausage, mince, pork, sliced ham, etc), some of the schmackos marrowbones or dried strips or the jelly from cat food mixed thru works. Trick seems to be finding something they like and use that to get the "good" stuff down. (like bribing kids with pudding, but mix it in!)

00laura.smith00
new born
new born

Postby 00laura.smith00 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:52 pm

when we first got our puppy he didn't eat much either... we feed him on Eukanuba and the pack said 6 or 7 days i think.. and it took him like 3 weeks!( HE is now 19 weeks and eats much better!) we also got him some pet milk and to begin with wet his food with warm water ( but you have to throw out what they don't eat in like a few hours so we wasted a lot!). Dougal is like your dog.. grabs a few then runs away then goes back... he grazes all day and doesnt have set food times but we also give him raw chicken necks and he LOVES those... maybe try something like that? GOODLUCK!!

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:05 am

How did you get on?

Return to “Puppy Talk!!!”