Spoodle pup training

All puppys here. Post any questions or answers you may have about your puppy.
sarah8523
new born
new born

Spoodle pup training

Postby sarah8523 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi Everyone!

I have a 7month old spoodle, loving her nature! very cheeky! I am getting there with most of the training, but the problem I have is letting her off the lead! if she sees other people or dogs, shes gone! and theres no getting her back! I could take a cooked chicken with me and it'd make no difference! I've tried the treats, recalling her back in the lead etc, and shes fine until she sees something that interests her and shes a goner!
Does anyone else have this problem? It seem everyone else i know hasn't had too much trouble letting there pup off the lead by now! what am I doing wrong?!!

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Re: Spoodle pup training

Postby Teddy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:35 am

Yeah I have had this issue and its common. The hardest thing is to control your dog of the lead. This is an issue because its being trained off the lead in an area with distractions and a place which is new and therefore its energy is heightened. What you need to do before any form of training is first to deplete your dog of any energy... Make it chase the ball for 15mins... This is a common mistake of any training - not depleting the energy. If u dont then the dog will run around excited. If its not exercised before training it will learn to have a high energy when off the lead and this will be like that for most of its life till it gets old and grows out of it... Thats one tip. I would first start to get it use to the area by using a lead and not letting it off...

AmeliaBeerhart
new born
new born

Postby AmeliaBeerhart » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:47 pm

I have the opposite problem, she is fine off lead, but as soon as I put a lead on her she throws a tantrum, tugs, eats the leash. Blah. I feel your pain.

Belle
new born
new born

Postby Belle » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:54 pm

Hi I'm no expert however with regards to "tantrum" throwing and chewing leash. Purchase a light weight chain and attach it to her collar, then attach the other end to the actual leash. When she tries to chew the chain, she will soon realise it isn't as tasty as the leash. You should only need this method for a week or so. Also when walking your puppy, "jazz" it up a little - go one way for a few steps then change direction. Your puppy will be so intent on watching where you are going that she will give up with the tugging and be more mindful of you. Hope this works.Let me know

Return to “Puppy Talk!!!”