New puppy and not sure what to expect...

All puppys here. Post any questions or answers you may have about your puppy.
AmeliaBeerhart
new born
new born

New puppy and not sure what to expect...

Postby AmeliaBeerhart » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:39 am

Hi,

I just got my new spoodle puppy last week, but I've never had a dog before and I'm not really sure if I am doing okay as a new spoodle mum, or really what I should be expecting from her at this stage. She's 9 weeks old now and a typical day with her goes something like this:

Wake up (and wake her up) around 3am to go outside for a bathroom break, then back to bed for more sleep and snuggles. Wake up properly at 7am, at which time she is really hyper, and sometimes bites quite hard, though she is mostly fairly gentle. At around 8 we do some clicker training, she knows sit, come and down, but will not do any of them except come if she doesn't see a treat, also if I randomly give her a treat she will sit without being asked. Then breakfast time, for which I get her to sit, and wait about 2 seconds, though I do have to gently restrain her.

Since she is not fully vaccinated yet, I can't take her for walks, but she has so much energy in the mornings that I take her on the bush track up to the letterbox on my property, and walk with her around the bush on my property. I have not had to use a leash at all, she stays right behind me, in fact I find she acts up more when on a lead than when off.

If I have to work she sleeps in her crate under the tool bench. I am quite lucky I am able to take her to work with me. She gets lunch at 12 but I make sure she sees me eating something first. If I have time I will usually play with her 2 or 3 times during the day, or she will sleep on my lap for a bit.

Yesterday she had her first day with no puppy "accidents" in the house, though she did make a mistake again this morning.

Before her dinner at 6 we do some more clicker training, and while the family has dinner she sits in her bed or on the couch chewing a stick or chew toy.

She does jump up a lot (which i discourage by gently walking into her) and also if I leave any shoes out she will try to eat them.

So is there any advice, handy hints etc that you guys could share? I'm feeling a bit lost and unsure.

trishatsunshine
new born
new born

Re: New puppy and not sure what to expect...

Postby trishatsunshine » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi Ameilia

Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job! Unlike me, who has 2 young children, a husband that never wanted a dog in the first place, a Ragdoll cat that despises the dog and very little time to give a Spoodle the endless, never ending, continous attention that he seems to need!(See my post from today titled 'HELP'.)

So...my only advice to you is to keep doing what you are doing - as once she grows up, she'll be a handfull, I didn't realise that out of all the breed of 'oodles', the spoodle is the most energetic one of all. I can walk Dobby until the coews come home but when we get home, guess who is exhausted.......ME! As for Dobby, he looks at me with that adorable face and asks "what's next???"

Enjoy!

Return to “Puppy Talk!!!”