Money breeding

The place where you can lean against the fence post and let out whats on your mind, any discussion here....
farmchic
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Money breeding

Postby farmchic » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:57 pm

Not saying i breed for money or anything, I love my girl to much for that. But almost everything you read tells you that to be a good breeder you have to only just cut even or even lose money, and if you make money you're a backyard breeder. but if that's true then how come there's still so many professionals still doing it, obviously they love doing it, but you need a bit of money to live on right????

Has anyone seen the breeders at labradoodleland.co.nz they breed all sorts of "oodles" some of them have phantom poodle lines(markings like a dobermann) so cute :)

Sorry for all the breeding Q's I've jus got it on the brain right now LOL

sl_simpson
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Re: Money breeding

Postby sl_simpson » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:39 am

Yes have seen the Breeder at labradoodleland and visited prior to adopting Bella from there.  To see the set up and see the dogs.  She was great to deal with and has lovely natured dogs, not all the dogs hers though some freinds that wish to breed their dogs placed their dogs with her.  She is a doctor and is really into the genetic side of the breed.  Also carries out the various tests before breeding from the dogs.
Bella and Casey are both from her.

I think of the term, a backyard breeder, is where people willy nilly breeding dogs whether its supposidly in a prebread line or a hybrid cross and are not doing it responably.  i.e.
Don't screen the dogs for health problems prior to breeding. Don't necessarily raise the pups in a family environment giving them that human social interaction at a young age. They don't really care for them in the breeding process either.  Selling the pups on with all sorts of possible health issues, whether its at a high or low price.  
So I think there is more to the term than just the money one may make out of breeding.  Breeding can be a hobby or a business

doyle and mollie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby doyle and mollie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:36 pm

is casey a cavoodle or spoodle??

sl_simpson
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby sl_simpson » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:21 am

Hi Doyle

Casey is a spoodle with phantom colouring.  
His mother is a Spoodle with phantom genes. She is from a Cocker spanial x poodle whom both carry the phantom gene and Casey's father is a min cream poodle with a phantom gene.  
This mix has given him his colouring.

Bella is from the same mother the phantom spoodle and a parti spoodle father, black and white (no phantom gene).  

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:07 am

nothing wrong with making money on selling puppies, what is wrong is if don't look after the puppies you are selling or you are trying to get rid of them before you should..... I think people also forget that the work people go through to raise the puppies, so if you value your time then thats where the profit goes. So most people look at the profit you must make on the puppies as there is no way food etc would cost that much, which could be true, however what they don't count for is that you will spend alot of your personal time looking after them. Add that into the price and you would probably be lucky to be paid much at all. So say if you have 7 puppies and they sell for $1000 each thats $7000, inwhich $1000 tends to go to the stud. So $6,000 left over, food and all the other stuff i would think will be around $3,000 + probably more.... which leaves about $3,000. Take into that you are caring for them 24 hours and day for 9 weeks = 1,512 hours, in reality you are getting about $2 an hour. What you need to factor in is what would you pay someone to look after these pups if you didn't and it would be alot more than this.... so really there isn't any profit to be made here. If anybody barks about the price thats a good sum to be done.

Hallmark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hallmark » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:35 pm

Totally and if you take into consideration the cost of all the health tests you get done on the parent dogs, the pup vet checks and vaccinations as well then at the end of the day there is very little in it.  

Your initial outlay is huge if you create an acceptable set up for the dogs, so fencing and kenneling etc, I am sure that not taking into account my time it would take me years to pay back the tens of thousands we have spent on facilities and by the time you do that you are probably needing to make improvements anyway?

Time is crazy, it is so much more than 40hrs a week, its 7 days a week and I would be lucky if I spent less than 10hrs a day with the dogs and pups.

All things considered, this is why people say you make no money.....
Hallmark Kennels
Breeders of quality Oddles, raised with unlimited TLC

suez7
new born
new born

Re: breeding

Postby suez7 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:50 pm

Hi my name is Sue and I have a 14mth Spoddle Lucy is her name.....she is my world love her to pieces. i am wanting to breed her. i have been told after her second heat...well she has just finished her first late bloomer. so not sure when she will have her second heat 6mths? not sure
I am new to this so any suggestions i would really appreciate

things like breeders?
when is a good time etc

thks

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:07 am

Dogs usually go on heat every 6 or so months, I think they usually last for about 3 weeks but the best time to look at mating is about the 11 - 15 days... I think most people get the male to mate with her about 2 -3 times during these days... I know teddy had 3 mating sessions... which i think might have been alot but i don't think he minded  ;D

Things to think about:

- Will you have enough people to buy the puppies??, I wouldn't recommend breeding unless you know you have several interested parties and expect a few will pull out.
- What time of the year will she be having the puppies? will it be in the extreme heat of summer or coldeness of winter?
- Has she matured enough to have puppies??
- Puppies take 9 weeks of intense looking after and work and if you don't find buyers for the puppies expect alot of stress and asking yourself what if i'm left with 3 fully grown extra spoodles in the home
- Do your homework on who buys your puppies, you can't just give them to people who have the cash, they need to go to a good home otherwise you may see them on trademe 6 months later
- It can be very rewarding, however I can't stress enough about how stressful it can be, especially the first time and ideally you should have someone with experience in breeding around you, otherwise minor issues may seem like big ones, or you may miss some basic signs of major issues.....
Hallmark and a few others on here would be the most experiences breeders and would be able to give you more detailed information.... my mum has had a total of 3 litters previously through the years but to me it seems like alot of stress  ;) but of course i am a male so i guess thats expected  ;D

Where about s are you located??

Cavoodles
new born
new born

Postby Cavoodles » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:39 pm

Agree with the above  +++

We don't get Holidays either...  The job is 24/7 - 52 weeks a year.  We have truly gone to the dogs....
Some times it feels like the dogs have employed us for minimum wage...lol ;D
Some things to think about before breeding.
Try staying up all night whelping puppies after a hard days/weeks work.... and work the next day. ???
You can run into unexpected cost's like , Cesarean can cost up to and over $1000.,
and If you bitch dies ( Heaven forbid ) you need to hand raise the puppies  2 hourly feeds for 2/3 weeks, not easy.
Heating / cooling,  Extra food for mother and puppies, Vaccinations and vet checks can cost up to $50 + each puppy.
Recognizing if a puppy is sick or not getting enough to eat.  ALL things to think about... plus lots more...

But we love breeding puppies and get such enjoyment out of it.  and am happy to do all this for them...
We are still learning too..
Wouldn't have it any other way...  any profit is quickly gobbled up on the dogs...

Before breeding please do the research...

It can be totally rewarding :D or totally heart breaking...... :(
Cavoodle's in the Country Breeders of beautiful Ooodles.

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:49 am

if we didn't have breeders we wouldn't have dogs?... infact i wonder that if dogs weren't domesticated would they be an endangered species? :-?

farmchic
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby farmchic » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:51 am

Interesting thought Korin. I doubt they'd be anything more than the wild dogs (Wolves, coyotes etc) around if they were never domesticated, since it was humans that developed all the dif kinds of breeds. (That's why it's kinda annoying when ppl harp on about if dogs aren't 'purebreds' they're not worth anything. They do realise how they actually became purebreds?)
And dogs come on every 6-9 months, and you can breed them from they're 3rd heat.
My girl for example (she's a cocker) comes on about every 7-8 months.
Also it would be a good idea not to breed Lucy to a cockerspaniel, kind of defeats the purpose of trying to breed non shedding dogs if they're mostly spaniel lol, but I guess it depends on what you're after.
Last edited by farmchic on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deborah
new born
new born

Postby deborah » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:24 pm

Having grown up with parents who bred cockers, then bred 3 litters of springers then one of spoodles, I would suggest only breeding when you have plenty of time to devote, and when the timing works out so you aren't looking for homes for the puppies in winter when the thought of a dog that needs to be walked in foul weather isn't appealing. And I would never breed a bitch under 2 years old or over 6 years old.

Mine are born in an area I set up for them in the corner of the dining room. I sleep there with the mother the night before they're likely to be born to make sure I don't miss it. Once I had a puppy born with her cord tangled around a sibling that wasn't ready to come out - I had to swivel her around so she could drink, clear her face myself, and stop her mother trying to bite off the cord that was stretched back inside her. It was an agonising 70 minutes before that sibling arrived, and if I hadn't been there the mother would have bitten the cord so short the puppy would probably have bled to death. I once had a bitch get a uterine infection from retained placenta that the vet didn't notice - she nearly died, and we bottle-fed 8 puppies evry 2 hours for 2 weeks. And I had a serious runt, less than half the size of her siblings, and managed to nurture her into a healthy puppy almost as big as them by the time she was 8 weeks old.

Puppies are adorable, and I love breeding, but it's hard work, and I only do it once every 2-3 years because it takes a lot of time I can earn more money from in my regular business.

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:04 am

Yeah I have seen mum when she breed a couple of litters... alot of work and constant work

Return to “The Fence Post”