New and I have a few questions!

New to Spoodle.co.nz? Drop by here and meet our regulars.
jackall
Puppie
Puppie

New and I have a few questions!

Postby jackall » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:43 pm

Hi all, we have just brought a female spoodle puppy which we pick up in 2-3 weeks, however I have a couple of questions for you spoodle folk, that hopefully you can answer for me.
- one we have chickens at home in a coup and chicken house. Are spoodles ok to be around chickens, they are secure but I would hate her to start digging to get to them. We are hoping that getting her young enough we are able to train her to not do this.
- crate training - after all my research I still can't be sure of how to potty train in the crate. Also how often the dog is in there when I'm home or do I just leave the door open when home for her to go in and out as she pleases. Obviously when out I put her in and at night, but unsure about the day time and how this helps with toilet training, ie I wouldn't leave her in there and just take her out when it time to go toilet - so pleaes help me! I really want to do this right from the start. She will be 8 weeks when we get her.

farmchic
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Re: New and I have a few questions!

Postby farmchic » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:04 pm

Hi, Congratulations on your pup, she looks very cute :)
Spoodles are meant to be fine with other pets, and I'm sure you will be able to train her to be good with them anyway.
You can't just leave the door open and expect her to know to go outside when she needs to. You'll need to keep an eye on her while she's out of her crate and take her out every half hour or so, to the same spot, and praise her when she goes there. Especially take her out just after she's finished playing/drinking.
Eventully she'll learn to go outside when she needs to go.
Make sure you clean up any messes thoroughly too, with an ammonium free cleaner, as they usually prefer to go somewhere they/other dogs have been before.
There's a good product recommended by someone on a forum here..see if I can find it.
The point of the crate is to teach them to hold on, or at least not go in their bedding. I think they can be really useful though, but I'll leave it to someone else to explain it more as I've never had to crate train my girl (I'm always there when she's inside)
Good luck :)

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:36 pm

naturally all dogs will be curious about them... if there was more than one dog then it could be an issue... but one shouldn't be to bad... it all depends on how they associate... if the chickens run away or jump around that will excite her.. and she may naturally try to attack... but if you introduce her young and shes around them it shouldn't be an issue... you don't want to yell or anything while around them towards her as this may reinforce the attacking type behaviour

pj and rosie and brogan
Oodle
Oodle

Postby pj and rosie and brogan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:31 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the forum, your new baby looks beautiful. I bet you can't wait to get her.
We used crates for our girls, I wouldn't be without them. Rosie slept in hers at night from the first day we got her until she was about 6 months old. We also used to leave her in it when I was at work - about 3 - 4 hours a day (not every day). I think it not only taught her hold on but also to settle down quietly when we were out(and not chew everything up). Very important to take her out side and tell her to go toilet or something similar, when you let her out. Both our dogs go to the toilet when told - can be very handy if you are travelling and having a quick toilet stop. Brogan who we rehomed at 5 months, also has a crate, she is now nearly 10 months old and we had to resort to the crate at night again as she was having accidents around the house - after being in the crate at night for the past month we have now let her out at night for the past 4 nights and so far so good - no puddles. We still have Rosies crate in our lounge and both dogs regularly can be found asleep in it by choice - they feel safe in it. Rosie tended to jump up on visitors and I found if I growled and said bed she would hop in her crate by herself, and stay there until I told her she could come out. Just noticed recently that she doesn't jump up much now.
I see that you are from Christchurch too - some of the members from this forum had a get together in January at the Groynes dog park - hopefully we will do it again in the next few months. Hope you could come. Have you got a name for your little girl?
Cheers
PJ

jackall
Puppie
Puppie

Postby jackall » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:08 pm

Hi PJ and others - thanks for your reply and help, i've seen done even more research and have it sorted I think. Now will have to put it in to practice when we get her. I would love to catch up with other members and to meet other spoodles just let me know when you next catch up. No I haven't a name yet. I have a list so long - can't for the life of me decide!!! So help if you can. I'm leaning towards Gracie, Suki, Maggie, Daisy, Bridie oh the list goes on and on... its so hard. Please send me any suggestions if you can. Thanks heaps

jackall
Puppie
Puppie

Postby jackall » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:24 pm

Yeah have picked a name! Her name will be Bronte. I think its so cool and really suits her, it means thunder (hope thats not an omen haha!!)

pj and rosie and brogan
Oodle
Oodle

Postby pj and rosie and brogan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:47 pm

Great name - when do you pick her up?

jackall
Puppie
Puppie

Postby jackall » Mon May 03, 2010 8:09 am

I pick her up on Friday the 23rd - just can't wait! :)

emalthus
new born
new born

Postby emalthus » Mon May 03, 2010 6:14 pm

shes gorgeous ;)

Luvvy80
new born
new born

Postby Luvvy80 » Mon May 03, 2010 6:15 pm

Soooo cute & I love the name!