New to all of this~!

New to Spoodle.co.nz? Drop by here and meet our regulars.
jack2009
new born
new born

New to all of this~!

Postby jack2009 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi there,
I was not a pet person until I saw my spoodle Jack in a pet store and had to get him.
He was born on Oct 11th so he is just over 8 months old.
Vet tells me he is the nicest natured dog she has ever come across, very intelligent too!
So I am impressed and now want to know
(a) when I can start breeding?
(b) how would i go about this? and
(c) do i breed with a spoodle, or a spaniel, or a poodle??
Novice i know, but if anyone could help me out I'd be very appreciative~!

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Re: New to all of this~!

Postby Teddy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:18 pm

Hi welcome to the forum. Are you wanting to use him as a stud dog? You need to make sure you know your dogs background very well, make sure it doesn't have health issues and therefore suitable to be a stud dog and it needs certain health checks. I would point you in the direction of not mating him unless you are totally sure you know your dogs background very well. If it has come from a petstore then it could be hard to work out where its come from... What is your reasoning for mating him? Personally I would get him chopped asap before he realises he is a boy - from my experience I left my dog to late and he maintains alot of the male habbits like marking everywhere and uncontrolable around onheat dogs

farmchic
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby farmchic » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:24 pm

I agree with Korin-did you see on the 60 minutes episode last Wed when the reporters "schnoodle" was just as much West Highland White Terrier as poodle-she got her from a pet shop and they never mentioned that. Jack's very cute though.
If you do decide to breed anyway-you'd have to wait till he's at least 2 years old so he's old enough to test for health issues. I personally wouldn't cross a spaniel with a spoodle as it generally means they lose the 'less shedding' quality-but quite a few people do it-but usually because their spoodle is more poodley/they want a spaniel (wavy) type coat anyway etc.

jack2009
new born
new born

Postby jack2009 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:33 pm

Thanks for the advice!
I have another spoodle from a private owner, female 8 weeks, finding a lot out from speaking to a lot of people so itl be a couple of years before anything can go ahead anyhow.
Thanks so much :-)

Spoodygirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Spoodygirl » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:56 pm

I am with Teddy on this one, leave the breeding to the experts. Please do not even consider breeding with a pet shop puppy, it is too risky, where did your pup come from I know it was a pet shop but what sort of breeders sell thier pups onto pet shops. Watch the link here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1307 and you will understand. Also second Gen Spoodles can have a lot of the inherited traits bred back into them. I don't know how to explain it in tech terms but seriously it is not a good idea!!

Hallmark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hallmark » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:37 pm

Hi I am just going to agree with all the wonderful advice on here and hopefully it will be taken to heart.
Breeding Spoodle to Spoodle is really no point you are creating weaker puppies and losing all the wonderful advantages of the First Cross. Also stud dogs DO NOT make good pets. They will cock their leg and pee on every corner of your home, yard garage etc and hump silly. As well one bitch for a boy is only going to drive him nuts. To get the most satisfaction and enjoyment out of your lovely Jack and new girl get them both desexed and love them to bits for the rest of their lives, it is nicer for you and your dogs.

Return to “Introductions & Welcomes”