Calming signals: Learning about dog body language

Got tips? Need Information on Training? Post all here!!
nixniox
new born
new born

Calming signals: Learning about dog body language

Postby nixniox » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:32 pm

Hi

I was wondering if the calming signals have made their way to new zealand already?
http://www.canis.no/rugaas/onearticle.php?artid=1

Who are the dog trainers here that people look to for advice? I'm curious to learn more about how things are done here.

Cheers
nix
http://www.animalrehoming.co.nz

You might just find that special companion......

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Re: Calming signals: Learning about dog body language

Postby Teddy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:51 pm

I think the appearance of Cesar Millan on the NZ scene with his TV shows and books really introduced the energy and pack training which lacks alot with newly dog owners because we are brought up to make big deals wheneevr we see dogs etc etc....and he was the first widely spread person to say just ignore your dog and don't heighten energy as this is just encouraging this mood....

We get the odd trainer here and there on here (urgh to many heres in that lol), however I think in general you get several answers to questions and you make your judgement on how that advice might relate to your issue you have..... I would encourage anyones POV on the training subject because it may help someone else.... I don't believe there should be one technique anyone should say this is how all dogs should be trained and stick to it, especially on a forum- though i know people often have alot of passion for the method that worked for them.... I would think any issues with regards to heighten energy of a dog is often not bad dog training, rather bad human training and most likely mixed in with not enough exercise.... thats probably a big thing especially with regards to dog behaviour...

nixniox
new born
new born

Postby nixniox » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:32 pm

Hi

I heard of Cecar Milan but have not seen his show so far, will have a look on youtube maybe there is something on there.

With the wrong "human training" you are probably right *ggg* that would probably be the most common mistake in dog training  :)

It is funny for me as in the german speaking countries there is a lot of talk around trainer and who does what and how it works. May follwow the approach Thurid gives and just try to read their dogs body language better to understand why their dog is showing certain behaviours but I have not seen "the battle of the methods" here, it is rather the lack of it that was surprising to me.

I'll have a look at what this Cecar does, am quite curious.

cheers
nix
http://www.animalrehoming.co.nz

You might just find that special companion......

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:26 am

i think its the type of people we have attracted here... we don't have alot of strudy hardcore people who fight there ways with alot of "passion" I don't mind these people as without them i suppose you don't get those funny debates... but more the people we have here are pretty relaxed outgoing easy people... i think why we havn't attracted to many people who are really stuck in there way is that because they don't have to many people on here to fight with... its a pretty relaxed forum, which is a nice change... i quite like that mood, if you want to post some more info on this type of training please do so cause it will be very interesting... and could be some great info for the new website - once its completed  :P

merlinnz
Puppie
Puppie

Postby merlinnz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:03 pm

Thank you for the link. Fascinating and very educative. Taught me a few tings about our dog's behaviour.

One thing though. Jamie will sit down when we are walking in th epark, "freezing" if you will. Now, sometimes there is a person or another dog heading our way but 50% of the time there is nothing. Anyone any ideas? Just a bit anxious about wide open spaces?

farmchic
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby farmchic » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:59 pm

Just sitting randomly?
Maybe he can hear/smell something you can't, our girls freeze to listen to the other team barking before they get let off because they always get to play with them.
Or if it's in the same place it could be associated with something that's happened there before?

merlinnz
Puppie
Puppie

Postby merlinnz » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:53 pm

Well, the thing is she just stopped if we wanted to head the way we usually go... now we start from the carpark but reverse our walk, starting along the same path, but instead of turning right, go straight and come back in a big circle, good as gold.

farmchic
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby farmchic » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:57 pm

Oh sorry, she, lol. That sounds kinda weird, maybe she just didn't like going that way lol.

merlinnz
Puppie
Puppie

Postby merlinnz » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:15 pm

NO, she's been going that way off and on for years... but yea, maybe she wanted a change.

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:31 am

how old is your dog? sometimes its a sign of possibly a loss of eye sight... otherwise it might be unsure of something it sees in the distance, teddy does that and its a matter of snapping them out of it and pulling forcing them through it, otherwise it gets worse

Return to “Dog Training”