Agiltity and Fly Ball

Got tips? Need Information on Training? Post all here!!
sl_simpson
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Agiltity and Fly Ball

Postby sl_simpson » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:12 am

Hi everyone

We had a busy end to last year with doing a 10 week course for Canine Good Citizen Foundation and Bronze level. Along with 5 training sessions in Agility. I had been doing an hour agility classes split between the two dogs. It was recommended to me to train one at a time, but I often have both with me.  Both I and the Lady training us has been amazed at how quick the both of them have picked up the agility and really love it.  She suggested to go along to a show in Cambridge to see what it was all about and a good outing for the dogs, give them a run in a few events.  We attended a Ribbon Day in Cambridge in December, taking part in Jampers C, Elementary A, and Starters.  Which are all for beginner handler and beginner dogs.  While we got over, through and around most of the course, some missed obsticals and sometime side tracked with all the other doggy smells on the course and wanting to go meet people outside of the course ring.  We had a real fun time and it was great to see all the other more experienced handers in action.  After all not too much was expected of them after only having 5 lession in total for the both of them.  It also was good to see how far they have come with the obedience training for Canine Good Citizen.  They were quite chilled out relaxed with all what was going on around them.  It was a full on Dog Weekend.
There was only one other spoodle, two min poodles and a mix of Fox Terriers, Jack Russels, Pappions, Staffy cross, mini Schnauzer and a few others  in the smaller dog group.  There was mainly Border collie, farm dog mixes, Collies, Schnauzer, German Shepards and Beardie mainly in meduim larger size dogs. 

Was wearing the Spoodle Forum tee shirt and had a couple of people approach me about my dogs breed and the Forum.  Which was fun to talk about.

Last week we had out 6th training session in agility after a two week break, did a short fly ball session and Bella has taken to that also.  Casey alittle slower with it as he is not so into catching a tennis ball, he will go fetch one fine  ::)  Also Bella has matured so  much.  Casey is still abit in that puppy phase even at 1 year and 9 months. The trainer was wrap and again amazed how they had come back and still take to the agiltiy training and not forgotten to much of what had been taught to them.  They have amazed me also. :o  Real smart dogs even if I say so myself :D

Does anyone else do agility with their dogs?

If anyone has the time and access to going to classes in their area I reckon you should give it ago, also great mental stimulation for them and fitness for all. ;) Dogs generally over the age of 14months start agility training because the joints need to mature before doing jump training. 
If you live near Paeroa  get in contact with Christine Nielson for all range of training from puppy classes to advanced obeidence, agility, flyball and everything else inbetween.  She is great.

A coulple of pics at training unfortunately didn't get pics at the show just abit busy taking in all the new lingo and get around the courses. :)
[img width=800 height=599]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk136/ssimpson_03/IMG_0055-2.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=599]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk136/ssimpson_03/IMG_0053-2.jpg[/img]

Sandy
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Re: Agiltity and Fly Ball

Postby Sandy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:19 pm

My just 15 year old daughter has been doing agility with Maddy (when Maddy turned 18 months) since May. They have done a few ribbon comps and surpised us all by winning the Elementary at their 1st outing. They have also done some more serious champs and have had a lot of clear rounds. Down here in North Canterbury there is a young guns (kids) group run though the Waimak club. They have their training together and there is another couple of kids Cassie's age so she is really enjoying it. I'm looking forward to taking Molly to the adults group when she is old enough.
Maddy has taken to it wonderfully, she gets excited when we turn up to training and seems to love the comps. Everyone at the club was amazed at how fast she picked it up. Now Cassie is asking if they can try fly ball so that will be the next thing. It is so pleasing to see Cassie and Maddy working so well as a team. It has proved to us how clever Maddy is. :) :)
These are photos from their 1st comp.
[img width=800 height=533]http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk451/sah042/Maddy/tempphotos301209035.jpg[/img]
[img width=800 height=533]http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk451/sah042/Maddy/tempphotos301209032.jpg[/img]
[img width=800 height=533]http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk451/sah042/Maddy/tempphotos301209034.jpg[/img]

I would certainly recommend this to anyone thinking of doing it. I had to get Molly so I could have a go.. ;D ;D
Regards
Maddy, Molly & Sandy

sl_simpson
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby sl_simpson » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:19 pm

Yes its quite addictive ;D

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:25 am

I guess it gets them out from computers and cellphones as well ;) lol... I've never tried it with teddy, i wonder if he would jump over them or just mow through them  ;D
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandy
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby Sandy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Only trouble is Korin it gave her more people to txt and talk to on the computer. :-)
I'm sure Teddy would enjoy it. Lots of new dogs and people to meet. Maddy really likes meeting new people. :-)
I'm impressed with the equipment set up you have at home for Bella and Casey sl_simpson. Cassie keeps asking for some jumps.. I keep looking at tunnels on trade me but they are quite expensive. Don't see many hurdles and not normally close to us. :-(
Regards
Maddy, Molly & Sandy

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:24 pm

true back when i was in collage, we only had 3 people with cell phones and we made fun of them all.... seems now everybody has one by the age of 10 lol.... ;)

yeah teddy might, he's actually been digging a good size hole in a sandy area of the home... he's got quite deep ;) ... he likes to chase the ball then jump back into the hole and dig more.... also playing a game where i bury the ball and get him to dig it out... lol.... he's not the best at that but gets him using his nose

Sandy
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby Sandy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:44 pm

I think they are even starting to have phones younger than 10!  :) :)

Maddy hopeless at playing ball, she just runs off with it...  :) :) :)
Molly isn't bad but she's just started to dig when I'm out at the clothes line.
Regards
Maddy, Molly & Sandy

sl_simpson
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby sl_simpson » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:02 pm

Hi Sandy

The pics were taken at the Christines place the lady I was going to for a training sessions before Christmas.  Unfortuantely I don't have as big a back yard to do that much of a set up. And the equipment to buy is quite expensive.  She has  3 different course and pactice areas setout and changes them around to suit.  She is 1 1/2 hours drive from me.  But I wanted to do the Canine Good Citizen course, which was once a week over ten weeks and half way through that she had a spot available for us to do some agility earlier on that same day.  So we did the two taining sessions in the one day which made it more cost effective.

I do have at home a few jumps but I have them made out of upside down plastic pots with a wooden tomato stake across and bamboo stakes as up rights. 
[img width=800 height=600]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk136/ssimpson_03/01_16_1.jpg[/img]

I did make up one of the cross over obsticals for them to learn the contacts.  It consists of a old small pallet 700 sq with 12mm ply fixed on top of two wooden saw horses (my father had lying around) and  3 x 300mm wide 12mm ply ramps with paint and sand grit for anti slip.  I brought one sheet of 12mm ply for the ramp parts  which was 2.4m long 1200mm wide and 6 hinges 2 on each ramp. The ramps also have a 50mm x 50mm timber stiffner running the full length and two cross peices top and bottom on the back, to take the bounce out.   The set up is suited only to small dogs.  It would need to be heavier ply for bigger dogs, to last longer.
Although when I want to move it I need to unscrew the hinges, which is not so ideal as the screws will become loose over time. A better fixing arrangement could be sorted out.
[img width=800 height=600]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk136/ssimpson_03/01_16_0.jpg[/img]

The last peice of 300mm wide plyout of the sheet Im making into a low teeter totter thing, just  working on it.

Here is a couple of places that sell agility equipment.
http://www.onpawsagility.com/
http://www.freewebs.com/agilitydogsnz/

There was a nice write up in the lastest pet mag about Chelsea Marriner
and 18 year old who's passionate about dogs and training. She was at the Cambridge event.  We got to see her in action which was great along along with a few other younger handlers, wow they were amzing also.

To get Maddy to come back with the ball try using treats and  throw the ball only a short distance away use fetch and bring only giving her the treat ( small pecice of cheese) when she has returned the ball to your hand.  It will take a few goes but she will pick it up  fairly quickly. ;)

Sandy
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby Sandy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:21 pm

Hi sl_simpson. I had never heard about the Canine Good Citizen Award but have just had a look and it looks good. Cassie has taken Maddy to obedience and I am about to take Molly after the holidays.
I thought us having to drive half hour (open road) each way was bad enough but an hour and a half is keen. I have been looking at a couple of items for agility but as you say they are quite expensive. Someone learnt us a portable set of weaves which has been great. I'm trying to decide if I can copy them... I also made a small collaspable tunnel because it was the 1 thing Maddy refused to do. Now she just loves them. Thats a good idea for hurdles. I will have a go at that. I hadn't even thought about making contact equipment. I'm impressed with what you have done. :) :)
I know what you mean about watching the young handlers they just get out an do it. Cassie just loves it and doesn't worry about what can go wrong when competing. She just gets out there and has fun.  :) :)
Regards
Maddy, Molly & Sandy

sl_simpson
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby sl_simpson » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:58 pm

The Caine Good Citzen course I found to be excellent.  The trainer was excellent also. 

There is the four levels in the course starting with Foundation, Bronze, Silver to Gold.  It gives you a good level of handling skills, knowledge about dog ownership and regulations also the dog learn a good amount of obedience, manners and social skills. 

I personally think everyone who owns a pet dog should do the course even if its only the first two levels to Bronze   :)
There is an outline on the NZKC website about it. 
http://www.nzkc.org.nz/goodcitizen.html

Hannah
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hannah » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:19 pm

Sandy the Waimak club agility training looks like heaps of fun! Might look into giving it  a go with Bailey... I'm sure she'd love it!  Where abouts is the place that they train?  :) I had a wee look at their website... is Maddy on the intro to agility course or begginers or what? Whats the course like?  :)
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks
Bailey and Hannah :)

Sandy
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby Sandy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:00 pm

Hi Hannah. Cassie and Maddy did a 4 week intro course run at the same time as the young guns train. It is taken by the instrutors who are involved with the young guns. In fact they have 2 children involved in the agility. It is held at Rice Park in Clarkville. Clarkville is on other side of motorway opp Kaiapoi , about 5-7 mins from start of northern motorway. They start at 5pm on Tuesday nights but we get there at 4.45pm to help set up the equipment. On the website on the agility page there is Vanessa Trimble's phone number. She takes the 4 week intro course and also runs the young guns. If you did the 4 week intro course Cassie will be there at the same time. She is really nice and great with everybody. It is set up for fun but also learning the right way to run the coursesfor competions. Cassie loves it and so does Maddy. We have a comp on sat 30th Jan at Mairehau High if you want to come and have a look. I can let you know what times if you interested. :) :) :)
Regards
Maddy, Molly & Sandy

Hannah
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hannah » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:44 am

Hi Sandy, they both sound great. Are the young guns and agility courses run at the same time??? What exactly is the young guns course? I would have loved to come and have a look but unfortuantly I'm busy on the day of your comp! Goodluck though! :)
Thanks

Sandy
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby Sandy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:57 pm

Hi Hannah. The young guns is just what they have named the young peoples group. They run the same type of agility courses as the adults do at training. When you start everybody does a 4 week intro course. Waimak has set up a kids group so they all train together so its social as well. But when the kids compete at the agility comps they compete against everybody in the same level regardless of age.
If you are interested give Vanessa a ring and come and have a look. Not sure what date training starts again but she will know.  :) :)
Regards
Maddy, Molly & Sandy

Hannah
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hannah » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:54 pm

Oh right I gotcha now! Yeah i flicked her an email.... the 4 week thing starts up again on the 2nd of feb. Just a bit worried about the long drive there every week... :/
Thanks

Return to “Dog Training”