Stop dog barking ( not new)

Got tips? Need Information on Training? Post all here!!
shirleys
Puppie
Puppie

Stop dog barking ( not new)

Postby shirleys » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:50 pm

i have a problem with one of my dogs barking. It is driving me nuts. We have tried just about everything short of special collars. What happens is for no reason he rushes out the ranch slider into the back yard and starts barking, have tried going to him and saying no but does not stop him. When people comes he barks at them continuously and no matter what he will not stop. If go to him and say no he runs to another area and continues. Have a container with stones in and works the best but not entirely successful. He barks excessively when being walked if he sees or hears another dog or person. Having 2 dogs this of course causes the other dog to think there is something he needs to bark at and then we have 2 barking dogs. Oscar the spoodle is good and only barks when enticed. Jack however is a bichon/maltese/poodle mix. i think it might have something to do with the breed as I have heard other owners with a similar problem. Has anyone any fresh ideas. Please. :x

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Re: Stop dog barking ( not new)

Postby Teddy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:10 pm

what type of poodle? standard?
My dog teddy gets abit like this, there will be a trigger which causes him to bark... usually its an event ... people arrving is very common... one thing to remeber is he thinks he needs to greet people, barking and jumping etc etc is dominant behaviour... therefore he thinks he has to met new people.... this is usually caused by giving him attention whenever you enter and leave a room.... for instance if you walk out of a room which he is in... then enter again does your attention first point towards him... whether it be eye contact or talking to him... i would be the first to put my hand up and say i'm guilty of this....

recently i decided to pay less attention to teddy, especially when exiting and entering doors... the reason for this is that everytime you leave a room then return to it you are infact leaving and coming back to the pack.... this is often overlooked and people often assume the whole house is infact the pack whereas its acutally a room where everyone usually sits the most - often the lounge.... so i would recommend ignoring your dog, try not giving him eye contact or talking to him as much,.... touch eye contact, communication it also can all be viewed as rewarding the dog, so if they bark and you pay it attention it can think its doing a correct behaviour....

when people arrive, never let your dog greet them.... what i do is place teddy into a room and shut the door.... I let the people in talk to them for 5mins then let teddy out.... i will stop him from rushing them, rather just walk him behind me into the room.... what we are doing is we show the dog that you have greeted the new arrivals into the pack and now you are bring him into this new pack.... he usually will be a bit shy and will settle much quicker... you will also find guests don't react much, a big issue can be when guests arrive they tend to say hello and its quite a high energy time... so its best for your dog not to be around - especially if they bark .... you should also make sure both dogs are in seperate rooms, or if one behaves fine you can let them be around when guests arrive as they are less dominant....

With regards to walks ... do you tire your dogs out before going for a walk?? make sure you do and also make sure your dogs walk on a short leash behind of next to you,... you need to make sure you maintain control... stop the barking before it gets heightened... don't raise your voice or emotions ... if you can just keep the dog moving and walk past as if there is nothing happneing...

shirleys
Puppie
Puppie

Postby shirleys » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:46 pm

Thank you for the advice. Its quite difficult to discribe. it is definitely excitement that makes him do it as the tail starts wagging and away he goes. Unfortunately his bark is very sharp and totally unacceptable. I have tried putting them away and letting them out later but he just stays in the other room and barks as though he is there. Oscar(spoodle) responds very well as does Teddy (Must be the genes). I am going to try ringing the door bell when no one is around and calm them down that way rather than wait till someone arrives. It is very embarrassing when the visitors are totally rusher by dogs. We have dogs all around us and I think they bark to see if there is any response. Just a thought. We'll keep preservering. I have thought that the little fellow is a bit hyperactive and I might try extending his walks for a bit longer. The spoodle is fine on walks doesn't take notice of anyone which is good and is walked a lot off the leash as we walk mainly along the river where the dogs are allowed off the leash. Will try the leash walking as well it may be the key - start there and get the pack leadership back and good things may follow. Cheers

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:19 am

yeah my dog teddy has a very high pitch bark and cry and its very loud... ignoring and staying calm is the key ... its all about not heightening the energy... you can roll him on his side when he barks this often calms them down quickly.... also using "shhhhhhht" type sounds over "no" can work great... often we can get really angry with teh dogs and show it when we use words... also barking and excess energy can also come from not enough mental activity... I found this an issue with teddy - he's very spaniel like so loves using his nose to find stuff. I noticed this when throwing the ball around and he liked to go around and find the ball in bushes etc etc... so i now get his attention and throw the ball into a bush, then he runs in and spends about 5mins trying to find it, then brings it back out and i do this a few times.... he really loves this, also he loves to dig so i started hiding his ball in the ground and letting him dig it up... just a bit of a change from the usually walking and running... dogs love activities... and challenges... Because most dogs are different you need to look at what your dog naturally does - if he loves sniffing around bushes and looking for stuff then create games like i did above... some dogs really love just chasing a ball so thts a good activity for them... others also like to retreive stufff ... for instance teddy also like to walk around with stuff in his mouth, so find items he can walk around with, train them to pick stuff up and take it to another room... ;) fetch teh newspaper lol... all this can help with the barking issues... often is anexity or excess energy...

shirleys
Puppie
Puppie

Postby shirleys » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:02 pm

Oscar loves to sniff in the bush and also likes carrying things in his mouth. We had no barking last night by just staying calm and saying no etc it is starting to work so here's hoping. Teddy is Oscars father so i guess the similarities may go deeper than just the breed. I think we have started to find the right thing for them ( especially the barky one) so onward and upward. Thanks for the advise it really helps to get another opinion.

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:22 pm

oh gosh i had no idea, haha... sorry i wasn't to sure what you meant by teddy i thought you also had one called teddy... urgh bit of a forest gump moment :lol:

shirleys
Puppie
Puppie

Postby shirleys » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:47 pm

No worries you weren't to know. It would have been nice for Oscar to have inherited Teddys colour. He's a wonderful dog and very much loved. Cheers

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:15 pm

good to hear!

Return to “Dog Training”