Walking your dog properly

Got tips? Need Information on Training? Post all here!!
Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Walking your dog properly

Postby Teddy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:12 pm

Yay finally after much effort and different methods tried i have got ted to walk beside me without a leash... he doesn't run away and i have alot of control.... I found that by using the "cissst" sound with either a slight tap with the foot and hand signals i can control him.... basically now if he does something wrong when walking i only have to make a slight "cisst" noise and he gets back inline..... I'll write how i manage to finally get him under control and some of the things i worked out in a near future date.... but i'm rapped i finally got him to do this  :D

Vicki
Oodle
Oodle

Re: Walking your dog properly

Postby Vicki » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:00 am

Good for you but dont forget that dogs react on instinct and movement is what they see most and will react to ie a bird, cat etc I shudder when I see people doing this alongside a road.   I still remember when a girl lost her life in a car accident when trying to swerve a dog that ran onto the road in a 100K area.  They never did find the dog or the owner.

A good time to remind people that now summer is here never leave your dog in a parked car even with windows open unless you have found some shade to park under.  Also dont walk your dogs during the heat of the day unless swimming them, evenings and mornings are best.  Also make sure your spoodle has been clipped to a sensible summer coat.

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:02 pm

yeah i always have ted on a leash when we walk on the footpath, i was more meaning when we go for a walk along the beach or walking track around QEII park.... i'd never have ted of the leash near a road.....

Vicki
Oodle
Oodle

Postby Vicki » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:03 pm

I was sure you would be sensible but I once saw a guy walking a large dog on a narrow footpath alongside a 70kph road.  The dog went out onto the road caused three cars to slam on brakes the owner of the dog just got the dog and put it back on the footpath and went on his way - he was carrying a lead but did not have it connected in anyway to the dog!

Also have noticed that in Australia they are trying to ban crossbreeding of dogs!!  I kid you not, look on the Australian spoodle forum website.  It is unbelievable.

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:31 pm

How can they actually ban spoodles? if they ban cross breeds should they not ban all dogs except wolves? since every dog is a cross breed from a wolf? I can only think they are getting angry because people get such a high price for them whereas apparent non cross breed dogs don't fetch as much.... i hope oneday they wake up to the fact there dog is not infact pure breed..... Is that the forum spoodleforum.com? i can't seem to get my head around how it all works?
Last edited by Teddy on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobClubley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby RobClubley » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:03 pm

How can they actually ban spoodles? if they ban cross breeds should they not ban all dogs except wolves? since every dog is a cross breed from a wolf? I can only think they are getting angry because people get such a high price for them whereas apparent non cross breed dogs don't fetch as much.... i hope oneday they wake up to the fact there dog is not infact pure breed..... Is that the forum spoodleforum.com? i can't seem to get my head around how it all works?

That's the one - weird forum isn't it?
Noodle the Spoodle - a wonderful companion and friend - born March 11th 2007

Whaia te mātauranga, whaia te māramatanga - Pursue knowledge, pursue the wisdom of knowledge

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:23 pm

yeah i was just thinking its kinda one long page with random stuff everywhere... not bad mouthing it, another interesting forum i've just joined up to is the australian pure breed one.... lol.... just want to see where i go with some posts, lol/./. ;D who knows i might get kicked off, lol.... they are quite a big part of the australian kennel thing
Last edited by Teddy on Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vicki
Oodle
Oodle

Postby Vicki » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:56 pm

It is an interesting forum that has been going for years - I have viewed it for around three years now and it is getting much more world wide now not just Australian.  I think part of the reason for them not liking crossbred dogs is the Kennel Clubs as they depend on the registering of purebred dogs to keep them going and I should imagine the numbers have dropped dramatically.  Also as crossbreeds are healthier then less work for the vets!  

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:22 pm

mmmm, its very interesting just been having the old heated battle in the pure breed forum and noone seems to be answering the simple question.... if a spoodle breeder was part of the registered breeders thing, would the conditions and standards not improve? They seem to say the same old thing: spoodle breeders only breed for money, they neglect there parent dog and puppies, they are pretty nazi about the whole thing, crazy

snoopy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby snoopy » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:38 pm

Are the crossbreeds healthier? It makes sense that they are since they come from totally different dogs to make a new one

Hallmark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hallmark » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:02 pm

I tend to not even enter into discussions with pedigree breeders, I used to be one myself and although even then I didnt like to get into the politics of it all, now that I am spoodle breeder!!!! oh boy!

Thing is alot of what they say is unfounded, they generalise, they assume we are in it for money, they assume we dont do proper testing of our parent dogs and they assume we are a backyard set up.

I admit there are alot of people out there doing it that way, which isnt helping, only giving fuel to the fire.  But there are others of us that have spent 10s of 1000s of $ creating a good set up for our dogs, who do have all our breeding dogs regularly checked and if needed have blood tests and heriditory checks done.  Who chooses to only breed from dogs who have long established healthy lines and are dilligent about all pups health, vet checks, worming, flea routines, vaccinations, including lepto and kennel cough and desexing.

There is nothing different between all that and them only that I produce a crossbred as a result.

I feel it very unfair that we cant register the spoodle, but I dont see the point in fighting, I just avoid it all together and make sure I always attain a high standard with all my dogs.

It is very frustrating
Hallmark Kennels
Breeders of quality Oddles, raised with unlimited TLC

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:41 am

yeah i was trying to tell them that every dog is a crossbreed except the wolf.... but some of them do go quite nuts about it all.... it works both ways as well, you get back yard breeders with pure breeds aswell....

Hallmark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hallmark » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:44 pm

Totally, and that has been going on for much longer!
Hallmark Kennels
Breeders of quality Oddles, raised with unlimited TLC

igot2spoodlesyay
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby igot2spoodlesyay » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:54 pm

Before when i was looking for my pups i put an add on a free site asking for breeders to contact me about a spoodle, i had numerous messages from pure bred breeders saying why would you want a mutt when you can have a pure, and id email them right back telling them iv lost 2 dogs now because they were pure bred and had health issues.  I dont care what any pure bred dog breeder says to me about a mutt, because they are beautiful, loving dogs and ill take my chances with them...Im soooo over the whole pure bred dog crap and they have bad attitudes, pure bred breeders are a breed of there own and i know one forum in particular is getting quite a bad name for its self.  Im sooooooo glad i found this one, you guys are all lovely xoxoxo

Return to “Dog Training”