wonders never cease

Got tips? Need Information on Training? Post all here!!
kiwi06
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

wonders never cease

Postby kiwi06 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:05 pm

Knock on wood, I think we might be getting somewhere.  Tonight Buster went to the door, stood up and tried to push through the curtains.  I said, "good boy" and took him straight outside.  He went wees straight away.  I headed back in and he started to come, but lingered on the deck looking at me funny.  So I went back on to the grass, he followed and promptly pooed.  Is this just a happy coincidence or do you think he's finally getting the idea he has to go to the door and tell me when he wants to go out.  Hmmmm.  I shall keep you posted.

Emma
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Re: wonders never cease

Postby Emma » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:19 pm

YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY - how exciting!!  I know exactly how you are feeling!! Coco has been doing the same for the past couple of days.  She just goes and sits at the door and looks at me - I LOVE HER - SHE IS SOOOO CLEVER!!! Sorry guys for being an over excited mum but hey it's pretty cool :)

doyle and mollie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby doyle and mollie » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:13 am

there will be some oops's but i believe buster has made the connection - its amazing how it just seems to happen isn't it. it's helpful now to keep a tab on how long it takes buster to want to go after eating this too will help you be aware of any signals he may be giving you the pattern changes as he gets older but it does help. another thing weve always done is feed him his dinner outside so he's free to eat, have a play and do the business, its become part of our day now. hubby and i get home, make his dinner then we all go out, we have a wine and a chat about the day, have a play with doyle etc. he'll do a wee and poo about half an hour or so after eating... then we all go in together. doyle will usually go out again around 9pm and that's him for the day. well done buster and congrats kiwi06!!!

igot2spoodlesyay
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby igot2spoodlesyay » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:01 am

villan use to go out straight after he had dinner and right when we hopped into bed, we had doggy doors so he just did his own thing.  Im scared with these new pups, i just want to do it right from the start.  Ill have them from the weekend so on weekend ill keep taking them out every 30 mins to an hour and if they do a wee ill give them a treat and make a big deal but on the monday im back at work, i dont know whether to leave them in the laundry until they get a bit bigger or not, but if they are inside how will they learn not to wee inside?  where as if i keep them outside where i they will have there dog cubby and it will be fenced off while little and a shade umbrella over the top of it then they will be on the grass and might just naturally go on it.

I dont know its so hard to know what to do...arghhh...it will be harder training them this way but i did it with villan so ill just have to try work it out as i go...my mum will come over and stuff but not everyday and they will go to hers some days but they need to also get use to some days having to be by them selves.

Emma
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby Emma » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:27 pm

Hey how did Buster do today -  was he a good boy with letting you know when he needed to go to the loo??

kiwi06
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby kiwi06 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:45 pm

During the day we seem to be so routinised that he doesn't get a chance to let me know.  But sure enough, tonight he went to the door and this time he whined a bit.   :)  Heaps of praise for that.  Looks like it was more than a happy coincidence.  It will be so good to be able to relax a bit more when he's inside, knowing that he'll let me know he needs to go.  And with summer looming, we'll have the doors open a lot so I want him to learn to tell me ahead of that.

Emma
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby Emma » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:49 pm

This is so exciting!!  You must be thrilled!! It really is quite amazing how clever these little Spoodles are!!  Coco surprises me everyday :)

Return to “Dog Training”