Charvis brings home the bling

Got tips? Need Information on Training? Post all here!!
BarbM
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Charvis brings home the bling

Postby BarbM » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:57 am

I'm still in shock but somehow Charvis managed to win the 'Novice cup' at the Wgtn Canine Obedience Club intra-club day!  Its the cup for the senior class, which is the highest level at the club and includes some of the trainers and their dogs.  I really didn't think we had a chance but it all came together on the day.. it helped that Muffin the huntaway cross decided that rather than recall to her handler, it would be more fun to keep running, jump the fence and herd up the dogs in the agility area.  Also Zac the fox terrier didn't stay put in the 'stays', which was unusual for him.  For only the second time in his life Charvis did a 'full retrieve'!  Anyway, the dog that came second is also a spoodle, and third was Muffin (despite her fence jumping antics).  The cup is now sitting proudly on our mantlepiece so when people come to the house and Charvis is jumping all over them and behaving like a complete maniac, we can show them that he can be a good boy sometimes!

sl_simpson
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Re: Charvis brings home the bling

Postby sl_simpson » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:19 am

Congrat's

How much time do you spend on training Charvis?
What is the best thing to start with when doing obedience training?

We have sit stay, down stay and working on more distance away with that.  Recall mostly sorted, fetch with some return for Bella and similar with Casey but not fetch and return quite yet....
There is no obedience club here to attend but I would still like to do it.  Any good video's or books to read on this?

BarbM
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby BarbM » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:47 pm

Hi - thank you!
Sounds like your training is going great, esp with them both still puppies! Spoodles are quite clever and pick things up quickly, and most of the ones I've met seem to be quite people orientated so they are keen to please.

We go to 1h class once or twice a week but when we're out walking I also do a bit of practice, but only enough so its still fun.  I am more interested that the dogs are happy and find it enjoyable, and that when it counts they understand what I need them to do eg come back to me, or stop and sit/lie down etc; than I am in competing (which is why the cup was a surprise!).  Banjo didn't enjoy the classes very much but he is a good obedient dog anyway, so he doesn't go anymore, whereas Charvis seems to really like hanging out with the other dogs and going through the routines.  

The classes at our school run from Beginners, J1, J2, Intermediate and Senior.  Charvis had to pass a test to graduate at each stage to progress to the next class.  The senior class is quite fun as they get to do scenting/retrieving and recall-to-heel, as well as lie-down stays where I ask him to stay out in the training area while I go into the clubroom and make myself a cup of tea!  I am amazed that he is ok with this as he is a big sook.  There has been so much repetition of this he knows that I'm going to come back eventually I think.

Sorry I haven't used any books/videos myself but I'll ask one of the trainers when I go along this week and see if they have any recommendations for you..

BarbM
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby BarbM » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:31 pm

What is the best thing to start with when doing obedience training?

Sorry forgot to answer this one

Heel work is where they start, just trying to get the dog to walk closely alongside with a loose lead, and paying attention to you.  Not easy at first, but heaps of practise, praise and treats when they get it right.  So you walk in a straight line and then turn, and the trick is the dog stays on your leg and turns with you.. then when you stop, they sit.  As you progress up the classes, you do this without the leash, which Charvis isn't the best at, but he has his moments!  With the sit/lie down stays, they start with the leash on, and you only take one step away, and gradually you go further away, and for longer periods.. it takes months of doing the same thing, and praising the dog when he does it right.  Same kind of idea with the recall.  The main thing with all of this is that the dog is paying you attention, understands the commands and does as he's asked.  Charvis understands, but sometimes he gets distracted or bored, they're just like kids at school I guess!  It can be frustrating for us too, but you have to remember that if they aren't doing it right at the start, it might not be dis-obedience, they just might be confused about what you're asking them to do, so you have to be really consistent in correcting (not the same as punishing) 'wrong' behaviour and praising 'right' behaviour..  

sl_simpson
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby sl_simpson » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:22 pm

Thanks for that.   :)
Bella is walking quite nicely beside me on loose lead, but not always paying attention, and we do some short stints at off the lead.  I guess I may need to focus with more on the lead until better at it.
The bonus with going to classes is that the instructor can let me know if my instructions are right, where and when I should be correcting wrong behaviour and praising right and getting the timing right for both.   :D
Also there is the benefit of being around other dogs and distractions.

Kate
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Kate » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:55 pm

Congratulations Barb, Charvis - what a star!

Spoodygirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Spoodygirl » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:00 pm

Well done Chavis, what a legend!!  Barb you will have to take a photo of his winning cup.
Barb

BarbM
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby BarbM » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:21 pm

Thanks!
I'll try and get a pic for you Barb - for some reason there were no photos on the day

Spoodygirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Spoodygirl » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:23 pm

Hi Barb, I just meant line up Charvis at home with his cup and take a pic yourself, havent seen the boys in a while how about a few pics of them anyway!!

Barb

Return to “Dog Training”