toilet training

Got tips? Need Information on Training? Post all here!!
Sophie Schaaf
Puppie
Puppie

Re: toilet training

Postby Sophie Schaaf » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:41 pm

Hi there picked up the lovely Baxter on saturday and we are having problems. I know I can expects to have a few problems but i really don't want to maintain the way it's going incase it becomes a habit.

We live in an apartment in the city so are trying to use the puppy pads in the bathroom. He's used them correctly about 3 times followed but lots of love and affection.

Most of the time he waits till we take him out of the bathroom and will either do it on the floor or a couple of times in his crate.

I'm trying to establish a pattern but he doesn't follow the straight after dinner rule or nap (sometimes he does) or after play.

Is there any advice you can give me everyone else seems to have done it really quickly?  :( Please help I'm desperate.

Also when does the crying at night stop? we take him to the bathroom then too

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:36 pm

well you live in an apartment, dogs don't liek going to the toilet where they sleep is there anywhere outside you can take it?? otherwise it will learn to go to teh toilet inside the apartment and might not get rid of that habbit in the future.... How old is it? if you just got it then just have the newspaper down, I use to put it by the door so it got use to telling me when it needed to go out by going to the door.... also look at where they are going to the toilet, that just might end up been the place you need to place the newspaper... expect this for about 3 - 4months.... but inside that time you need to take it outside so it gets use to going to the toilet outside... infact they prefer to.... is there any grass close by?? like anything it takes time and persistance  :)  Crying at night will take a bit of time, make sure they have some of your clothing inside the crate .... its basically calling for the rest of its pairs, you need to remeber that they were all close and this is a natural  reaction to find the pack.... I never used a crate with teddy and had him on my bed, he never cried.... a good idea is to get some cloting or a blanket with the litters scent on it, that will calm it down... otherwise bond with it alot and use your clothing so it knows its in a new pack

have fun
Last edited by Teddy on Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amymac
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby amymac » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:14 pm

Hi - its not true that every dog is toilet trained quickly. We got Riley at 9 weeks and he took until about 15 weeks before he got the hang of things. (He still has an accident every so often). At 9 weeks he used to do two kinds of wee - one where he actually needed to go and found a spot (preventable by me taking him outside) and the other was when he was running around - he just had no bladder control and would wee when excited. The "excited" weeing took about two weeks to settle and I think was just due to an immature bladder.
One of the things that made a big difference for Riley was if he did a wee inside I would soak it up with a paper towel and take the paper towel out to the grass where he was supposed to wee. Then he could smell his urine where it was meant to be. You can do the same thing in your apartment with the pads.
I also highly recommend Friend Vanish for carpets. :P
Oh - it is unusual that he is weeing in his crate if this is where he sleeps. It may be he is in there too long (some pups only can hold on a very short time). Or if this continues you might need to check he doesn't have a bladder infection. If you got him from a pet shop this is also a disadvantage as they get used to peeing where they sleep as they are in confined quarters - he might need a little more effort to train in this case.

Good luck  8-)

Sophie Schaaf
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Sophie Schaaf » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:50 am

He was so good last night he woke me up at about 12am... 2 am... 4am... and 6am and only once did he wee on the floor and not the pad (this is the downstairs bathroom). My husband and I brought a pen that we'll pick up tonight we'll put it on the balcony with pads and start taking him "outside"

not happy about the lack of sleep but this is what I signed up for   :D

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:59 am

good training i would think for kids  ;)

Sophie Schaaf
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Sophie Schaaf » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:23 pm

It's now down to one time a night woohoo!!!! still have moments i wake up when i swear i heard him but was all just in my head and an early 6am call but no where near as bad

Return to “Dog Training”