Leash training

Got tips? Need Information on Training? Post all here!!
Sophie Schaaf
Puppie
Puppie

Leash training

Postby Sophie Schaaf » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:36 pm

What's the best way to teach a puppy to walk on a lead?

Baxter will have his final vaccination on saturday so i'd like to start preparing him for going outside.

What the best method you know of?

Right now he hates it and i wouldn't take him out like that

Kate
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Leash training

Postby Kate » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:18 pm

I remember Lara hated it when we first tried putting her on the lead but it didn't take her long to get used to it - when they begin to associate the lead with going out for a fun walk they start to love the lead, so just give it a little bit of time!

Jax
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Jax » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:15 pm

A few suggestions for you.. make the lead into a little loop to go around the neck, then sit down with Baxter at his level and with a treat.  Hold the loop in front of his head and wait for him to put his head forward towards it, once he does that then reward with a treat and let him walk around with it on.  If he moves his head away when you are holding the loop in front of him then simply keep it there and wait for him to become confident to put his head through, try not to talk too much and just give him time.

Once he's happy to have the lead put on like a loop then use some treats that smell good to encourage him to walk forward with you holding the end of the lead.  Puppies always have a strong smell instinct so to help them want to move forward use something like cheese or liver treats.  Once they get the idea of walking with the lead on then it should get much easier.
TTFN

Jax

farmchic
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby farmchic » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:02 pm

You could try holding his leash in on hand and treats in the other. Hold the hand with the treats (Cat bisuits can work, or anything small, easy and fast to eat, and not too messy works.) a bit in front of him, and he shoud happily run forward to get the treat, praise him when he does, and maybe give him a treat every 5 steps, lengthening the amount of steps as he gets better, try not to pull on the lead at all if he doesn't like it. I've actually had the opposite problem with my puppies, they want to go and go and go, and try to pull your arm off lol. Maybe you could also, have a friend lead their dog that he knows and likes in front of you (if someone you know has 1) and he'll be so distracted with trying to get to the other dog he'll forget about his worries, but the treat thing would probably be better as it teaches him to focus on you more.
Hope this helps  :)

Return to “Dog Training”