Obedience related question

Got tips? Need Information on Training? Post all here!!
amymac
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Obedience related question

Postby amymac » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:45 pm

Hi
Does anyone do competitive obedience with their dog? Riley and I have joined the local dog club. We had done an obedience course elsewhere. I have taught Riley to heel on the right because the sight in my left eye is very limited and it is a safety issue and just easier when I can see my dog clearly with a glance. Now that we have started a new club I have been told I MUST heel him on the left because that is what happens in competition obedience. Actually I have no intention of doing competition obedience, I would like to do agility in the future and get our canine good citizen award.
Has anyone struck this problem before. it just seems very unreasonable to me and my husband has just said to me to stick to my guns because why should I be discriminated against for being blind.

Spoodygirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Obedience related question

Postby Spoodygirl » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:56 pm

I would definatley stick to your guns on this one, if you are not going to do comp obedience it doesnt matter at all and infact heeling on right side can come in very handy with agility, with agility they need to be able to be on your left or right depending on the agility course. I train dogs at our local obedience and we had a lady that could only heel on her right because of a back injury and thats what she did, it didnt bother us at all. Have fun, and if they give you hassle over it find another club!!

amymac
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby amymac » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:00 pm

Thanks spoodygirl. I was a bit dumbfounded actually as I got called up in front of the whole class.

Jax
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Jax » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:20 pm

Hi
I agree, stick to your guns.  Sam and I have just completed our first Obedience term at NorWest Dog Training and they have no problem with whatever works for you and the dog.  ;D
TTFN

Jax

Return to “Dog Training”