a thought

Got tips? Need Information on Training? Post all here!!
Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

a thought

Postby Teddy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:10 pm

Puppies try to lick your face because thats what they did to there mother to get food....

clicker
new born
new born

Re: a thought

Postby clicker » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:50 pm

yep i've heard this before, but not the best habbit to get into.... some people love that sort of thing.... but then theres a whole other type of person that hates it.... i'm sure they are the type of person that would sterlise there face if anything like that happened  ;D

Rochelle
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Rochelle » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:21 pm

Aww! I didn't know that, how cute. :)

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:30 am

yeah just watched a documentary on this guy who is living with wolves in a zoo and he had to bring up 3 puppies as there mother abandoned them.... he was a bit twisted in feeding them the traditional way of putting food in his mouth then, pretending to throw it back up... they were eating out of his mouth.... funny thing was at the end of the doco they mentioned " he has lost his home, and his family to be with these wolves".... kinda random as the doco was about him and the wolves, i guess they just had to slip that in, lol

Coco
Oodle
Oodle

Postby Coco » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:11 pm

I wondered if it mainly because they are so affectionate and love to be loved by their owners.  We are constanly telling Coco NO LICKING but she continues to do it especially when she is showing affection.  Thoughts.
Megan.

merlinnz
Puppie
Puppie

Postby merlinnz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:58 am

I have been meaning to google it, so thanks for that answer.

Jamie will do it to wake us up, but thats the morning so it could be for food...

I thought it was cos she loved me SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much! ;)
Last edited by merlinnz on Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:10 am

No you see your putting human emotions to dogs, lol ..... i guess its hard not to though....  ;D

merlinnz
Puppie
Puppie

Postby merlinnz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:35 am

I thought this was quite cool. Also, a number of places say the licking may also be a sign of deference to the leader

Why Dogs Jump Up And Lick People’s Faces
April 11th, 2007 | Category: Holistic Pet Health
Part of the canine greeting is to sniff and lick faces. Because people are so much bigger than they are, dogs try to bridge the gap by jumping up. Some people really dislike it when dogs, their own or someone else’s, jump on them. But dogs, on the other hand, do it all the time because they think they are being polite.

The next time you take your dog to the park, watch how he greets and is greeted by other dogs. They start by sniffing each other’s mouths, then move around to sniff the back ends.

All of this is considered proper and polite behavior among dogs, and they assume it is the way they should greet people.

Dogs do not have any trouble sniffing our bottoms, they will do it all the time if given a chance. But the first part of the greeting, the mouth sniff, is not possible because we are so much taller than they are. Except for very short people with very tall dogs, the only way this is going to happen is if dogs get up on their hind legs.

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:40 am

yeah makes sense aswell..... i find it interesting that they jump up on some people but not others as well.....

Kate
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Kate » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:19 pm

That's cool, they do seem very keen to get to your face when you first see a dog again. I can handle the sniffing, though not so keen on the licking  ;)

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:27 pm

That leads us to another thing, apparently dogs dribble or what ever you call it is infact a natural bad bacteria killer, so the dribble on your face is not bad....

Kate
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Kate » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:33 pm

I'll just stick to my cleanser, thanks! :D

Roz
Oodle
Oodle

Postby Roz » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:54 am

HAHAHAHAAA I think about this everytime she does it to me - especially since I watched her eat her own pooh the other day :o

EWWWWWWWWw

Hard to get her to give them up too and well I am not keen on putting my hand in there and fishing it out.

I wonder what it means when they stick their tongue in your ear?! She has woken me up a few times now and I swear she is tickling my brain with the end of her tongue - it's just sooo long and thin and dextrous  :D
Last edited by Roz on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hannah
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hannah » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:37 pm

Haha. Re the ear thing...havent had her tongue actually in my ear.. (ewwwww... how nice for you Roz! haha!  :D ) a bit off topic but Bailey has a huge habit of nibbling my ear lobes.... it started with my earings... but she's been doing it without earings now.... its quite funny actually!  ;D She even jumps up to the top part of the couch where you rest your head ....... mmhhh... this seems to have become her new favourite sleeping spot.... fab bailey.. just fab.  ;D
Thanks
Bailey and Hannah :)

Roz
Oodle
Oodle

Postby Roz » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:22 pm

Bailey has a huge habit of nibbling my ear lobes.... it started with my earings... but she's been doing it without earings now.... its quite funny actually!  

:D Dakota does that too! I have lost several earrings because of it...she had managed to loosen the butterfuly by tugging at them. Now I don't wear earrings and try to discourage the ear lobe chewing...damn they are just tooo adorable for OUR own good aren't they  ;D

Return to “Dog Training”