How to stop this

Got tips? Need Information on Training? Post all here!!
xmasangels
new born
new born

How to stop this

Postby xmasangels » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:09 pm

Weve not long taken a 3yr old nutered bichon into our home,

hes absolutly wonderfull, in everyway

great with the kids loves being anywhere I am, cries if i leave him alone  :D

our only issue....

he tends to poo inside over night, weve got a cat door that he happily goes in and out BUT wont go out at night especially if its wet out,

and tends to poop in the dinning room, not in a nice neat pile either,

he turns in circles while pooing, so leaves a circle of poo all over the place

Anybody have any idea how to stop this?
(he will happily be in the car all day long, and wont wee or poo in there )

Jax
Puppie
Puppie

Re: How to stop this

Postby Jax » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:05 pm

Hi Xmasangel

Can I suggest you go back to basics and crate your Bichon over night?  If he can go for a length of time without needing the toilet then he should be fine in a crate and once you've established a pattern for him of going through the night then he should get a lot better.  At the moment he is probably not really certain what his boundaries are so you need to establish a pattern so that he knows what is expected.  Good luck and have fun.  ;D
TTFN

Jax

xmasangels
new born
new born

Postby xmasangels » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:39 pm

thanks for the suggestion,

we dont own a crate, Ive never used one, even for my cats[smiley=embarassed.gif]
Ive always just taken them to the vet in the car on harness's
(we even moved towns by just taking the cats in the car,)

will talk to hubby and ask him about getting a crate, I guess it will come in handy for training "panda" when we collected him

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:35 pm

Maybe take him out at night ? or make sure he goes before going to bed? they shouldn't need to go in the middle of the night unless they are possibly desperate, maybe this could be marking his space issue?? doesn't quite seem right... do you watch him when you take him out at night to make sure he goes??

xmasangels
new born
new born

Postby xmasangels » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:46 am

we think he doesnt like going outside when its really cold or raining,

as he doesnt do it every night, and he knows how to use the cat door

my husband thinks this issue is most likely the reason the old owners wanted him rehomed,

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:38 am

we dont let our dogs go in and outside without us letting them out. They learn that when they are let out that the time they go to the toilet .... so they tend to pretty good, my guess is that the previous owner might have been quite lazy in taking them outside and therefore would allow that... they don't want to usually go in the home, as they do try to do it as far away from where they sleep as possible. You might be right, some dogs won't go outside when its cold or wet... it could also be a habbit thats been trained into him, especially if its consistant. Does it happen often?? or is this like a once in 2 week type of issue?

xmasangels
new born
new born

Postby xmasangels » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:50 pm

I thinks its pretty often maybe once or twice A week, mite even be more often, but i'm not 100% sure as my husband gets up before us so any accidents he cleans up, so that one of our kids doesnt stand in it (or crawl through it in our Daughters case since shes unable to walk)

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:49 pm

Is it happening in a place away from where he sleeps? if so can you restrict where he can roam at night. For instance I shut the door to my bedroom meaning teddy has to strape on the door when he wants to go out as he won't go in the bedroom?

xmasangels
new born
new born

Postby xmasangels » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:33 pm

ITs happening in the dinning room within 2m of the cat door [smiley=evil.gif]

right at the opposite end of the house from our bedroom, where he sleeps,

Asked my hubby and he said ainly when its either really cold or wet out,
SO really does seem like he's not into going out in that weather

Cherie
new born
new born

Postby Cherie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:45 am

we've only had our dog a few weeks so I am by no means an expert. but I wondered do you go right outside with puppy at toilet time? esp when the weather is a bit grotty its easier to just open the door, put them out for a few minutes and bring them in. it might be that you need to get yr raincoat out and stay outside in the rain for 15 mins till he does the business??lol. and I guess the thing about praise praise prasie when he does the biz outside make it a big deal. but, I am a total novice so prob miles off the track. would love to hear how you get on tho - I am enjoying all the advice I read on this site - when I get a bit more time will upload some piccies of our Labradoodle. best of luck I imagine it's very frustrating

Cherie
new born
new born

Postby Cherie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:47 am

oh by the way - we bought a crate and as a new dog owner I wasn't sure about it. gotta say it's the best money we ever spent, and with 2 preschoolers it gives Nugget a place to go and escape the chaos. the kids know they don't go near it (or inside it!) and it's for Nuggue's 'quiet times"

xmasangels
new born
new born

Postby xmasangels » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:01 pm

We brought a carry crate today, as we wanted to be able to take it in the Van when we go away for the weekend,
and the place were staying says dogs are ok as long as they are either crated or left in the car,

We so far havent even been able to get Heny to go inside it [smiley=MSN-Emoticon-114.gif] Guess he's either never been in one, or got scared while in one maybe

Oh well looking on the bright side our new puppy Panda, will get to use it from when we collect him on Monday

sl_simpson
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby sl_simpson » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:20 pm

Hi
Here is so good info on crate training hope it helps   :)

http://dogs.about.com/cs/basictraining/ ... aining.htm

xmasangels
new born
new born

Postby xmasangels » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:27 am

thanks heaps

I had read that link from it being posted in another thread,

I think Henry's main issue is the weather, BUT we are going to crate train Panda the puppy from day one

Jax
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Jax » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:54 pm

Hi XmasAngel

I don't mean to criticise, but it sounds a little like Henry is being allowed to do exactly as he wants e.g. not go in a crate, not go outside when he thinks the weather is too bad etc.  Can I suggest that you start to be more assertive with him.  For example set aside some time to get him to go into the crate, get his favourite treat that smells good, like cheese, and sit next to the crate with him and entice him in with the cheese.  Remember that dogs are driven by smell, sight then sound so a smelly treat is a real incentive for them.  Every time he makes a move closer to the crate encourage him and treat him, then stop for a few seconds to let him get used to it.  Eventually you should be able to put the treat in the crate and he should go in.  Once he's in there don't try to force him to stay, but keep encouraging him to go back in until he seems happy to be there.  Then you can progress to closing it.

With a new puppy arriving soon I think this is a wonderful opportunity for you to learn to train a dog before you get the puppy.  What you don't want to hapen is for Henry to teach Panda any bad habits, and if you continue to let Henry get away with stuff then you are eventually likely to end up with 2 dogs that do what they like.  :)
TTFN

Jax

Return to “Dog Training”