How to leash walk?

Got tips? Need Information on Training? Post all here!!
CorgiPaws
new born
new born

How to leash walk?

Postby CorgiPaws » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:05 pm

I have trouble walking my 5 month old puppy. I used to use the 1.2m lead and walk her around the block. She would normally just sniff the ground all the way and grab anything (stones, grass, twigs, wrappers etc) that comes in her way, but will still be walking close/beside me. For the past 2 weeks, we've been going to the park instead and I'd use the retractable lead to give her more freedom. But she will still walk properly on the way home. These few days, she pulls all the way to the park and in the park. I stopped when she's going to pull, and she'll sit down right where she's pulling. Not sure if I should ask her to come back to me before walking again. But most of the time, i'll just walk again when she's sitting down. when i start walking again, she'll just pull again!!! Now, when I want to walk somewhere else, she'll just sit down and not move. During our walks, she normally doesnt look at me, not even when I call her name or when i stop. And everytime i stop somewhere, she'll just pull on the lead, trying to reach for some dirt few cm away.

Please teach me how to train her to walk properly.

CorgiPaws
new born
new born

Re: How to leash walk?

Postby CorgiPaws » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:07 pm

Do you normally allow your dog to sniff around while walking? How old was your dog when he'she knows polite lead walking? How old when they know how to heel? Also, please teach me how to train heel. Real life experiences please

sl_simpson
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby sl_simpson » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:08 pm

Hi there

Its not an age thing necessarily of when they will know this or that.  They do need to be taught what you are trying communicate to them.  We need to be effective in how we are communicating with them.  Start early.

Somethings I have been taught to stop the pulling.

When they start pulling we are to immediately turn and walk in the oposite direction call heal.  Use treats  also and when they are walking nicely beside you, use the word heal again, give them a treat and use a good amount of enthusiastic praise.  You will find yourself doing this several times or more :D and not making much progress up the street but they will get the idea they are to walk with you not ahead. Keep on a shorter leash, but held relaxed like.    

Sometimes you may only get one step forward and they start to pull immediatley turn, say heal and walk in the other direction a few paces.
You may need to start back kind of at the begining with at a few steps at a time just outside your back yard or outside you front gate.  Break up into 3 x 10 min sessions over the day, end the session with a fun game and bit of play.

When you do stop just to stop , do call her back to your side and get her sit beside you, again use treats and praise. Do this so when ever you stop to maybe talk with someone she understand to just sit there.  When you decide to walk on again say heal.  Good to practise with friends or family members.  Get them to walk towards you etc...  

Same when someone else apprroaches you with another dog and they start to pull, turn in the opposite direction call them to heal.  Yes you will probably feel a real goof.  ;D
In another training session we would walk towards another person with their dog, when they started to pull on their leads we walk in the opposite direction and repeated the process until they stoped pulling eventually we walked passed each other without them pulling towards the each others dog. When we had this well in hand we followed with another session, the meet and great
There were 8 of us and half walked in a circle in one direction the others in the opposite so you either past dog to dog or person to dog.  When you stoped to talk to the person we asked our dogs to sit.  Treat on the sit, talk with the person and then move on to the next.  If they don't sit no treat and move off to the next.

To keep their attention do use treats and vary them.  Keep them on hand pretty much all the time.  And use each time you call them to come, sit or leave etc... along with a good amount of praise.  Gradually use less but keep up the praising.  

When I did puppy training with Casey the trainer had a mixed bag of small treats and it really kept them interested as they didn't know if they were going to get something extra special.
Mix consisted of small peices of liver, small peices of kransky sausage, and cat fish flavoured biscuts, and their own kibble.  
Small being the size a small cat biscut.  They are only treats.  Only treat when they have carried out what you have asked.

When they pull to sniff at something or pick up something do the same as above turn and walk in the other direction.  You can also use the word leave.  

When you go to the park do some practice there also great for the distractions.  Do a ten minute session of heal work and sitting beside you.  Then let her have a bit of free time on a longer lead. Call her back to you every so offen and give a treat.  When you are ready to go again keep the leach short and call to heal.

When they have burn't off some energy they do walk beside you better.
If you area able attend a puppy training class, it is also great for them socializing and for picking up some great tips for us as well. ;)

Any hope this helps good luck.   :)

Hannah
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hannah » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:49 pm

Hi this was quite useful to me.

http://spoodle.co.nz/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB ... 1206839599

Hannah and Bailey. :)
Thanks
Bailey and Hannah :)

sl_simpson
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby sl_simpson » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:00 pm

Forgot to mention.  All family members need to use the same commands and training method for consistance.  Makes for a less confused dog :D

They are pretty smart dogs and pick up things quick good and bad. ;)

Also get them to sit for putting on a leach and taking it off.  You walk out the door and gate first.  You lead ;)

Remember the training actually does not stop once you have acheived what it is you want. As they get older they will still push their boundaries ;D

farmchic
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby farmchic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:31 pm

I don't let my girl sniff etc when I get her to heel, I have a command which I give her ("Get in behind") which means stop what your doing, and walk beside or behind me and don't stop doing it till I tell you you can go. She's allowed to sniff around etc when I haven't used the command, so she gets a bit of freedom, but I'm still in control. It's also handy to have release command so they are confident in what they're meant to be doing, i.e. they have to keep doing the last thing I told them to do untill they hear the release (I use "ok") this means I don't have to keep saying the command (heel or whatever) over and over. It's handy to use this for 'sit' too, so they don't get up when they feel like it.
If you want, look at my post on how I taught my girl to do this ^^ (She's getting good at heeling now and she's about a year old, but she's been easy to handle on the lead for months) it's puppy love's one on teaching to heel and stay under distraction.
Good luck  :)

holly
Puppie
Puppie

Postby holly » Sat May 15, 2010 5:09 pm

Hi, I have a question about walking. I have been working at heeling my pup(7mths) on a normal lead. I reverse direction when she pulls ahead and her heeling is improving. Will she be able to get the idea that if I have her on the extender lead it is OK to go ahead of me but on the normal lead she has to heel? Or is that just confusing her?

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Sun May 16, 2010 5:03 pm

I don't think extending leads work for that type of training, just depends how you want your dog to walk... if you give it freedom it will always lead you

farmchic
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby farmchic » Mon May 24, 2010 8:44 pm

Depends on what you're doing, if you're walking somewhere and the only way she can go is straight ahead then it's not a good idea, as then she gets in her head that she's leading you, like Korin said. But if you're at a park or beach or something and she's just running round in all directions then it should be okay.

holly
Puppie
Puppie

Postby holly » Tue May 25, 2010 9:15 pm

I have decided to always use the normal heeling leash when street walking and using the heel command and not allowing Maggie to go ahead or pull in any direction. When I am at the park(dogs not allowed off lead) I will use the extender lead and give the OK command so that she can roam around a bit. She has really improved and seems to be getting the idea that she has to wait for the appropriate command. thanks both for the advice.

Return to “Dog Training”