Frontline

This is where you can discuss products that you would recommend and not recommend to other people ...
kiwi06
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Frontline

Postby kiwi06 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:50 pm

Does anyone use Frontline for flea control?  My vet recommended it and it seemed the best value for money as the instructions say "flea control for at least 8 weeks."  However, after 6 weeks I noticed some flea dust on Buster's nose.  Sure enough, with some searching around his belly I spotted the critters.  I decided to put a dose on him straight away but I'm a bit bummed it didn't last as long as it said it would.  

Hannah
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Frontline

Postby Hannah » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:41 pm

Hi,

We use frontline on bailey and we havent had any trouble with her so far, although we have never even seen a flea or tick on her, good to be safe though.

Goodluck. :)
Thanks
Bailey and Hannah :)

BarbM
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby BarbM » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:56 pm

I have used Frontline Plus and have seen fleas within 3 weeks of application - not sure if its because the dogs like swimming at the beach, and my subsequent washing of them?  It says on the packet that its waterproof..  the other thing is I'm scared to apply it too often as I have heard of dogs reacting badly to overdosing of flea treatments.  I've tried other brands but found them all quite similar at the end of the day.

Tallulah
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Tallulah » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:14 pm

we use frontline plus on 2 of ours and have no problems. Brodie is terribly allergic to flea bites and all bitey things! His skin is very sensitive. Frontline wasn't working at all. The vet suggested Practik (sp) You need to do it every moth and it's much more expensive ( of course  :( ) but it works really really well. Might be one to try if you're not happy with frontline.

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:35 pm

i use the spray on ted, as its more direct. Spoodles arn't overly oily so the application behind the neck sometimes requires a few aplicatiions.... i found with ted he was needing almost all 3 applications for a couple of months... i found using the spray kills anything on him straight away and works for a while after that.... i might add one of the applications behind the neck just aswell.... he is quite sensitive to fleas.... the other spoodles don't use the spray....

doyle and mollie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby doyle and mollie » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:13 am

weve been using advantage multi - fleas, worms the lot its a topical application once a month and weve never had any probs

kiwi06
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby kiwi06 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:28 pm

Thanks Everyone.  Korin, what do I look for in a spray?  Is there a particular brand you would recommend?  I take it they work on the live fleas but not the larvae/eggs?

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:49 pm

I don't know alot about the other sprays, i was using the front line one... but this is mainly due to the fact that i don't want to buy several packets of the frontline one which gets distributed through the oils in the coat.... I know that it gets rid of any fleas straight away on him and kills any which land on him that could be around the house.... i tend to grab a cann of fly spray and just spray the carpet in my bedroom in case they are in there.... with the warmer weather they are abit more active..... in about a weeks time i'll also add one of the frontline ones which distribute through the coat, however i don't think it matters alot as the spray apparently lasts for 2months liek the application stuff.... however i'm sure Sarah you have a slightly different POV?  ;) sorry thats what i was trying to get across when i brought both of them, that I dont' want to have to use several applications of that oil one.... and it ends up costing similar amount cause i need to buy another pack of that in a months time and don't know if it has worked...... i'm not 100% what the front line spray stuff is called, it has that funny shape head on it... and for me i recommend the spray and also the application.... but i'm sure Sarah you can't see the point in it?? :-?

doyle and mollie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby doyle and mollie » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:58 pm

who's sarah??

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:29 pm

shes "Lilly" the vet nurse down at the vet clinic i take ted

Lily
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Lily » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:38 pm

Thanks Korin for your wonderful introduction  ;)  Your right, I dont see the point in it.  ::) The frontline spray is called.... Frontline Spray, funny that.  
The spray only kills the adult fleas whereas the frontline pipettes kill the flea in all of its life cycles. Also for a dog of Teds weight ( and trust me, thats alot) you would need to use a hell of a lot of the spray, it's maily used for puppies and kittens as you can use it from a young age.
If your dog is still getting fleas then they are picking them up from their environment, ie the garden, the cat, or the even the carpet if your unlucky. There is nothing to stop the flea jumping on the dog, but they will die. If you are in a heavily flea populated area or your dog has a flea bite allergy you may find it necessary to treat more often.
Treating all your animals in the household and doing it regularly, not just when you see a flea, vacuuming regularly, and washing their bedding will all help and if necessary you might have to treat your house for fleas. Indorex is a good one for that. And remember not to let them get wet for 48 hours after application.
While I'm rambling on, always use a flea product from your vet clinic or good pet store, not the supermarket brands. Products such as frontline and advantage go into the dogs skin and fat, so the flea only needs to come into contact with the dog. Products from the supermarket such as spot on go into the dogs blood stream, meaning the flea has to bite the dog before they will die.  Not nice.
I normally use frontline, sometimes advantage-multi/Advocate as it does worms, ear mites and mange aswell. Have I bored you all to sleep yet?

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:06 pm

Well someone had to cause you didn't introduce yourself  ;)

Teds big problem is that he reacts badly to fleas, infact he's eating both his back legs where he got bitten the other day... so yes hes wearing a sock or two....the fleas need to die if they are on him or land on him.... i know that the spray works really well and i know with past attempts the application stuff works fine but you need alot of it.... and since teddy still acts as a puppy i can only assume that this is why its working  ;) ;)  [smiley=MSN-Emoticon-014.gif] .... yeah super market stuff is crap .... nah theres some good info so its not boring

And teddys not overly that fat.......... :-X hey what is the dog on the packet of the blue frontline box??
Last edited by Teddy on Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amymac
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby amymac » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:10 pm

Sarah / Lily - Is it true that if your dog is bathed too frequently with doggy shampoo that it washes off the advantage product? We got told to only bathe Riley once a month but this is not that helpful when Riley rolls in cat poo or eats a rotten fish head on the beach as happened just yesterday. We would like to bath him once a week. We got told that we could wet him down every day but this doesn't remove the "delightful" odour

Lily
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Lily » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:02 pm

Not true. As long as you wait 48 hours after applying the advantage there's no reason why you shouldnt bath him as often as is necessary for him to be pleasant to have around .... Unless you like the smell of rotten fish head as much as he does  :P

And Korin - I was avoiding introducing myself as I thought Lily might have a little too much 'sp' and not enough 'oodle' for most people's liking and I think the dog on the blue packet of frontline is supposed to be a Brittany spaniel. Although I'm sure if they saw Ted they'd offer him a modelling contract and put him on the front instead :)

doyle and mollie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby doyle and mollie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:58 am

welcome 'lilly' your expert input/advice is very valued on this forum!!! great to have a sparing partner for korin too he he

Return to “Best Buys”