what clippers should I get?

This is where you can discuss products that you would recommend and not recommend to other people ...
Fiona_Lange
new born
new born

what clippers should I get?

Postby Fiona_Lange » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:47 pm

We are looking at a Wahl KM-ss (single speed) and a two speed Wahl KM2.  Do you need two speeds?  What guides do you recommend? They come in sizes from 3mm to 24mm.  What do other people use?   Where can you get them cheaper?

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Re: what clippers should I get?

Postby Teddy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:07 am

We have had a few debates over this and havn't really come up with a conclusive option lol. I use siscors these days however I wish i could get some clippers one of these days lol.... Wahl are good, we use to have a really good one, but i can't recall what it was called i think it costed about $500 but it cut so well - we ended up using it on our own hair, lol...... it was only single speed, i acutally don't know why they have 2 speeds, its like a vacum cleaner with a dozen speeds - lol - who ever uses the lowest speed on it, you want the sucking power and tend to leave it on full lol.... i personally wouldn't use 2 speeds, all i recommend is to buy a good quality one, i tried our average hair trimmers on ted the other day and they just didn't cut well as his fur was to dense....

With our old trimmer we didn't swap the head of the trimmer we just attached our hair clipper attachments to it which worked out fine (they are plastic attachments which give you number 1 - number 10). I wouldn't go out and buy new heads as they look to cost about $50 each...

I would be interested in knowing what other people use here's a pdf link that I found but you ight have already checked ths out

http://www.shoof.co.nz/AUS/auscatalogue/page_76.pdf

Spoodygirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Spoodygirl » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:46 pm

Hi I have these exact clippers they are great. I also have 10 Stainless steel guide combs which attach to the blade so you can give shorter or longer clips depending on how you want the dog to look. I paid $350 for them in OZ. we have clipper world which great, google it im sure they would ship to NZ. Or try ebay you may find a new set at a good price.

Spoodygirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Spoodygirl » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:50 pm

Oh I should just add that my old clippers had the plastic attachments and I found them very hopeless as they tend to bend, especailly when doing all of mine they got a lot of work. The stainless steel ones are more expensive but so much better. I got mine in the kit with the clippers.

BarbM
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby BarbM » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:24 am

I have Andis Professional animal clippers which came with a #10 (1.5mm) blade and some plastic guides - I agree with Spoodygirl in that real blades are much better than using the guides.  
I have since purchased a #3 3/4 FC ultraedge (13mm finish cut) blade which I use on Charvis and a #4 FC Ultraedge (9.5mm finish cut) which I use on Banjo.  I bought these blades on Trademe.  

I give Charvis a longer length cut because his fur is finer and it gives a better finish for him.  Banjo has thicker woollier fur so a shorter cut seems to suit him better.

My clippers have only one speed and I'm not sure what you would use 2 speeds for as this works fine for me!?

Good luck with the clipping!  I was personally a bit nervous when I started clipping, but now I find it really easy and the dogs don't seem to be too bothered by it.  It sure has saved us a lot of money over the years too!

Roz
Oodle
Oodle

Are these clippers any good?

Postby Roz » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:53 pm

I want to get some clippers...have been looking at them on Trademe.  The thing is that we don't need really heavy duty ones as Dakotas fur is quite spanielly and so we are planning to let it get long - main need is for facial fur trimming. If we were looking to give her a full coat chop we would take her to a groomer.

SO I want to balance quality with price...can anyone tell me if any of these clippers would be worth bothering with OR would I still be better to spend $300-$400 on some andis ones?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pets-animals/Dogs/Grooming/auction-234984445.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pets-animals/Dogs/Grooming/auction-235793708.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pets-animals/Dogs/Grooming/auction-235407150.htm
Last edited by Roz on Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Best Buys”