What food is best?

Your Doggy Health and Wellbeing, Questions and Answers posted here. Place any Dog Remedies and Recipes here aswell.
jackall
Puppie
Puppie

What food is best?

Postby jackall » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:49 pm

hi all, just thought i'd get some feedback about what to feed my new puppy when back. Any suggestions - dry food and what brand is best? Raw meat? When can I give bones ie at what age? Would appreciate any help thanks :)

pj and rosie and brogan
Oodle
Oodle

Re: What food is best?

Postby pj and rosie and brogan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:02 pm

I feed my girls dry food and I have tried a few different brands but am currently using canidae. I would find out what the breeder is giving her and carry on with that initially and if you want to change you have to mix the new and old food together for about a week so you don't upset the tummy. If you buy a dry food from Animates and shedoesn't like it you can return the bag as long as it is more than half full and try something else. I think they can have a good solid brisket bone from a young age but definitely not cooked as cooked bones can splinter. My vet also recommended giving them some veges or rice. So I always cook a little extra (with no salt). I would also recommend having lots of things for Bronte to chew - so she hopefully won't chew the wrong things.
Are you going to do puppy preschool? Check with your vet - my vet offers free pupy preschool and we took Rosie every Saturday morning until she was about 7 months old - great for socializing.
Cheers
PJ

Luvvy80
new born
new born

Postby Luvvy80 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:54 am

We feed our 16 week spoodle Hills Science Diet puppy biscuits, aswell as 1-2 pieces of puppy duck jerky a day as a treat. This is our first puppy & we are just following the advice of our vet & puppy pre school nurses. We initially fed him a little bit of tucker time (nutritional pet roll) with his biccies, but we've stopped now. We feed him in the morning & at night, he doesn't guzzle his food it will take him about 30mins to eat as he is easily distracted by household noises. At 9wks he ate between 60-90gms a day, now he has about 160 per day. I think all of the goods brands have a weight vs age matrix to help you with the food amounts! Good luck, look forward to sone more pics of your puppy!

CocosMum
Puppie
Puppie

Postby CocosMum » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:54 pm

I heartily agree with the other posters who recommend sticking with whatever your breeder was feeding the pups and making any changes over a week or so to avoid tummy upsets. Some breeders will provide a sample pack of the food to get you started.

I feed Orijen to Coco and pups. It seems to be really good, Coco's coat is lovely and she is certainly not overweight on it (though that could be because she prefers wet food over dry...) I also feed a mixture of chicken mince, rice and mixed veges which I cook up in batches. I'm of the mix it up school of feeding. It does seem to be a case of trying a few things until you find what works best for you though - some dogs do very well on a raw diet, others on dry food and still others on something else. Your vet will give you advice, remember though that they do want to sell the brand that their clinic supports generally. The only thing I wouldn't feed is a fully vegetarian or vegan diet to my dogs but that is personal belief more than anything else.

Good luck with finding the best way for you to feed your pup.

farmchic
Reformed Oodle God
Reformed Oodle God

Postby farmchic » Tue May 04, 2010 9:22 pm

We feed Eukanuba and I definately would recommend that. My spoodle pups have been brought up on it, and mum was eating it 2 weeks before they were born, you wouldn't believe how shiny their coats were !
Shank bone (top of a sheeps leg-raw) are great for pups, as they give them something decent to chew on. You can start feeding them as soon as you get your puppy :)
Mine are 6 weeks now and they love them !
Definately don't cook their bones though, as it makes them splinter easily.
Hope this helps :)

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Wed May 12, 2010 3:43 pm

Teddy gets a mixture of raw chicken wings, raw necks and gravel beef for dinner and eukanuba buscuits in the morning.... usually give him a brisket bone after dinner aswell... and dental chews

Maxwell
new born
new born

Postby Maxwell » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:56 am

Can anyone reccomend a good quality dry food, that is not price out of this world. I have tried every thing from Orijen, Nutro which were ok, but just cost a fortune. I have gone back to finding the best quality at the supermarket, but after googling,them, they all get bad reviews with the corn, fillers etc in them. Tessa is now 2 years old, and we also have a 4 month old bearded collie cross, who eats anything not nailed down. So...is there any real proof that expensive is best? They both like soft food in the evenings, also chicken necks, bones etc. Thanks and look forward to your comments. :roll:

breezyhouse
new born
new born

Postby breezyhouse » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:29 pm

Have you tried K9 Natural. Not sure of the price tag. We feed our 4 mth old puppy Orijen but my pet feeds her 5 mth pup K9 natural. You can order it online http://www.k9natural.com

Maxwell
new born
new born

Postby Maxwell » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:42 pm

thanks for that. I went to my local groomers/food shop and they have a great selection of natural frozen foods made on the premises, so am going to give raw a go, as well as Orijen for a topup.

Return to “Health | Wellbeing | Remedies | Recipes”