Lethargic, Off Food and Mucous in Eyes

Your Doggy Health and Wellbeing, Questions and Answers posted here. Place any Dog Remedies and Recipes here aswell.
lippyleipreachain
Puppie
Puppie

Lethargic, Off Food and Mucous in Eyes

Postby lippyleipreachain » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Hi all,
I am getting worried about my little Cleo, 9 months old. She woke up this morning very stiff, and it seemed to be a struggle for her to walk. She wouldn't eat breakfast so I cooked her up her favolurite, chicken, and she won't eat that either. I took her to the garden to throw her ball around thinking maybe she is just lethargic as we had new air conditioner on all night, but she is not interested.
She also had mucous in one of her eyes (although this is not uncommon when she has been out digging up the driveway as she was yesterday).
My husband thought it might be a tick she has picked up but I have searched her twice from top to toe and haven't found any. Besides, we don't have paralysis ticks here and her flea and tick doses were only applied again on the 14th.
All her shots and wormers are up to date too.
It may be just that she is having an off day or that she is sulking that she is not allowed on the bed now my hubby is back from his trip ;) , so I will keep an eye until tomorrow.
I do worry though that she is sick. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Re: Lethargic, Off Food and Mucous in Eyes

Postby Teddy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:30 am

What happened? I should have taken him to the vet

lippyleipreachain
Puppie
Puppie

Postby lippyleipreachain » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi Teddy,
I took her to the vet on Monday afternoon as she got no better through the day. She was given shots and anti biotics. By Wednesday she had not improved so I took her back, this time for blood tests and x rays as she seems to be in pain in her back. All came back clear and her dose of anti biotics was increased and she is also on pain killers. She seemed a bit perkier yesterday but then today (Friday) she is back to square one. Also, when she pees she sits on the ground rather than squats and she hasn't done a number 2 since Sunday. She is going back to the vet today.
I am very worried as she is only little and she is obviously in a lot of disccomfort. She is barely drinking and is eating bugger all too. No energy at all and when she does move it seems a struggle. :( She has also been doing a lot of standing, just staring into space for prolongued periods. I don't know if it's because she is in pain lying down. The vet is stumped. Oh and she had a fever of 40 degrees on Wednesday. I will find out today if that has gone down at all.
I feared it was poisoning but that would show up in blood tests, as would Ciguatera.
Have you ever heard of these symptoms before?

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:40 pm

what do u feed it? I would think the vet is the best to judge... Poison would not be prolonged I think... could b allergy to something... Any rashes?... The fact its got better is a good sign even if it seems to have a bad day... Anti biotics wil also make them seem quiet and almost depressed like... Let me know how it goes

lippyleipreachain
Puppie
Puppie

Postby lippyleipreachain » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:17 pm

Hi Teddy,
She has perked right up today thankfully. She is like a puppy possessed flying around the garden. Oddly enough my husband is getting better too. I should think whatever they both had just needed time to run it's course. I was very worrying there for a while though. Thanks for your concern. She is all good now.
All the best :)

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:09 pm

That's good to hear, often its just a matter of waiting it out... animals are always hard to work out whether they are ok or not, unlike humans who can just communicate it... can be nerve racking but it gets easier to tell as you own them longer

lippyleipreachain
Puppie
Puppie

Postby lippyleipreachain » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:23 am

Hi Teddy,
Yeah, it was such a worry though. Hey quick question, what do you know about Lyme disease? My hubby is still sick and it has been suggested that both his and Cleo's symptoms are consistant with it. They say they don't have the 'bad' ticks here, but who knows. Anything could be brought in with someone's luggage right!
It is a public holiday today so will talk to Vet and Doc tomorrow.
Any thoughts?
Cheers :)

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:36 am

But if you don't have the particular ticks there why would you think it was this? What are the symptoms? more likely to be a mild flu ? or something eaten? water? plants?

lippyleipreachain
Puppie
Puppie

Postby lippyleipreachain » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:12 pm

Suspect ticks only because of my husbands symptoms too. N realisitcally, they say we don't have a lot of things here until they turn up. As we import a lot of food, materials etc, and nothing gets quarantined, pests are coming in all the time :(

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:42 pm

That sucks :/

lippyleipreachain
Puppie
Puppie

Postby lippyleipreachain » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:15 pm

Yep, but thankfully, puppy, and hubby all good. Although hubby still not 100%. Cleo turned one a few days ago too. How time flies ;)

Return to “Health | Wellbeing | Remedies | Recipes”