Ear problems

Your Doggy Health and Wellbeing, Questions and Answers posted here. Place any Dog Remedies and Recipes here aswell.
Puppy Love
new born
new born

Re: Ear problems

Postby Puppy Love » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:03 pm

The ear problems in Spoodles are unfortunately common.  There are a few things you can do to minimize the occurance however.  Avoid getting there ears wet, i put cotton balls in Barney's ears when i give him a bath, this stops any water running into the ear canal, (nothing i can do though when he decides to go for a swim ;))  Never pluck hair out of the ears as this will leave a small wound where the hair follicle has been plucked and will create a perfect environment for bacteria to feed.  A weekly clean with a good ear cleaner will also work wonders. Short of pegging his ears up to increase air circulation there isn't much more you can do to prevent ear problems, just avoid the humid damp conditions that the bacteria and yeasts thrive on. good luck!

Fiona
Puppie
Puppie

Postby Fiona » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:51 pm

I give Stella ear drops I bought at the vets - about $16 for a big bottle, it has lactic and salicylic acid. It has definitely reduced the ear odour. Not sure about reducing ear infections but I guess (working from knowledge of human anatomy) it should do. The drops are called Epi-otis

Teddy
Spoodle Admin
Spoodle Admin

Postby Teddy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:53 am

Do you know what sort of allergy that might have been or do you think it is what is in the beef you brought? Are you from the US?

katiejones
new born
new born

Postby katiejones » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:51 pm

hey everyone im new to the website so thought id say hey also i have a problem with my puppy thats been going on for months and its costing us a fortune!
Image this is Sammy my 8 (nearly 9) month old Spoodle
We've had since he was about 8 weeks old and about week after getting him he got his first ear infection, since then he's been to the vets nearly every two weeks and spent over 2 grand just on his ears in getting creams, drops and rinses. Every time it seems to have gone it comes back and weve tried everything to get rid of it, and were at the vets on Saturday to see if clearing up. He gets it rinsed twice a week and cream in every day at the min but its still not getting any better as ive said already
So we've just been looking at getting the Total Ear Canal Ablation (TECA), wondering if anyone on here has had it done on there spoodle and how it went and is it a good thing to do? As he's only a puppy and is in pain most of the time with his ear, and he's fed up with it getting poked and proded all the time as you would be, so any ideas?

thanks, katie

Return to “Health | Wellbeing | Remedies | Recipes”